Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Louth

06 January 2010

1900 – Post Office, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: Robert Cochrane A handsome Arts and Crafts influenced post office, by Robert Cochrane of the Board of Public Works, which offers a pleasing contrast to the Classical facades of neighbouring buildings. The...

06 January 2010

1902 – The Century Bar, Dundalk, Co. Louth

A rare Art Nouveau public house still well maintained. Perhaps designed by a Belfast firm, it was built by a Terence McDonald whose initials form the centrepiece of the bar. The delightful turret...

06 January 2010

1903 – St. Patrick’s Church, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: Thomas Duff / J.J. McCarthy / G.C. Ashlin Designed by Thomas Duff on the model of King’s College Chapel, Cambridge. As at Armagh Cathedral, Duff died before completion and the interior was...

07 January 2010

1905 – Former Library, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Finian Tallon Built as a Carnegie Library in 1905, this simple mid terrace building features Jacobean gothic detailing and Art Nouveau lettering. Tallon was an architect from Drogheda who has worked in...

29 May 2014

1922 – Oliver Plunkett Church, Blackrock, Co. Louth

Architect: Ralph H. Byrne One of the better designed churches of the early 20th century that largely managed to escape the granite-clad barn template of later years is the Church of St. Oliver...

06 January 2010

1925 – St. Michael’s Hall, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Small parish hall whose architectural detail is a simple stripped Italianate classicism executed in render.

06 January 2010

1931 – Allied Irish Bank, Clanbrassil Street, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Attractive exercise is a retained twentieth century classical built as a branch of the Munster and Leinster Bank. The giant orders give the building an appearance of robust confidence with the attractive fenestration...

06 January 2010

1935 – Courthouse, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Unusual little courthouse with Art Deco pretensions, particularly in the gateways and railings.

07 January 2010

1936 – College of Further Education, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Ralph H. Byrne Built as Drogheda Technical School and now the College of Further Education, this is a fine example of the early Modern Movement in Ireland. The entrance to the school...