Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Offaly

19 January 2010

1805 – Farm Yard, Charleville Forest, Tullamore, Co. Offaly

Architect: Francis Johnston Fabulous little stableyard with Tudor castellations and doorways. The central archway in each range leads to upper living accommodation. The buildings are in poor repair but there are some lovely...

09 March 2013

1815 – St. Brendan’s Church of Ireland, Birr, Co. Offaly

Architect: John Johnson / Sir Thomas Drew Built in 1815, to a design by architect John Johnson, with four-bay nave and five-stage tower. Extended in 1876 by Sir Thomas Drew, who added a...

28 August 2012

1824 – St. Brendan’s Church, Birr, Co. Offaly

Architect: Bernard Mullins A curious design for a Roman Catholic church, looking more like a design by the Board of First Fruits for the Church of Ireland. The 2nd Earl of Rosse donated...

19 January 2010

1830 – Former Gaol, Tullamore, Co. Offaly

Architect: John Killay Now the entrance to a factory, only this massive machiolated gatehouse remains of the old Gaol. Completed in 1830 the gaol received prisoners for over a hundred years until the...

19 January 2010

1835 – Courthouse, Tullamore, Co. Offaly

Architect: John B. Keane Burnt out in 1922, the Courthouse was rebuilt and also re-modelled in 1925 with the addition of external windows, and the removal of the statue of Justice over the...

19 January 2010

1855 – Railway Station, Tullamore, Co. Offaly

A very simple little railway station in the form of a small 5 bay building, built c.1855 by the Great Southern and Western Railway Co., flanked by set back single-bay limestone structures and...

19 January 2010

1860 – Gate house, Charleville Forest, Tullamore, Co. Offaly

Detail of small gatehouse into the Charleville Forest demanse.

19 January 2010

1865 – Presbyterian Church, Tullamore, Co. Offaly

A simple little stone church with classical overtones and a similarly designed porch which echoes the proportions of the main facade.

19 January 2010

1870 – Bank of Ireland (formerly Goodbody’s), Tullamore, Co. Offaly

A fine three storey warehouse in Ruskinian Gothic, which has been restored and amalgamated into the adjacent Bank of Ireland premises. It boasts a wonderful use of multi-coloured brickwork.