Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Wicklow

31 December 2009

1860 – St. Joseph’s Church, Baltinglass, Co. Wicklow

Architect: John Bourke Designed by John Bourke around 1860, this is a fine gothic revival church with a symmetrical composition. The main entrance porch is in the projecting tower. The interior is wide...

11 March 2013

1860c – Methodist Church, Arklow, Co. Wicklow

Five-bay gable-ended Gothic Methodist church, with the fa├žade finished in uncoursed rubble stone with dressed stone to the openings. Photograph courtesy, and copyright of Keith J. Allen.

14 March 2013

1860s – Loreto Convent, Bray, Co. Wicklow

Architect: John Sterling Butler A Georgian house that was “gothicised” and later added to by John Sterling Butler. The gothic dress was added c.1834 and a large twenty-two sided conservatory was also added....

04 March 2013

1862 – International Hotel, Bray, Co. Wicklow

Architect: E.W. O’Kelly Constructed for the seaside resort of Bray with 130 bedrooms, making it a large hotel for its time. Destroyed by a fire in 1974 and subsequently demolished.

03 July 2014

1864 – Tinode House, Blessington, Co. Wicklow

Architect: William Caldbeck Tinode House was burned to the ground in 1922 by the IRA, and has since been partially rebuilt. Part of the entrance front was reconstructed as a single storey as...

15 June 2010

1865 – Christ Church, Bray, Co. Wicklow

Architect: William Slater A large and elaborate Church of Ireland, unusually so, as their churches tended to be more understated. This actually looks like a Roman Catholic church. The church is entered through...

15 April 2014

1868 – Violet Hill, Bray, Co. Wicklow

Architect: William Fogerty A medium sized country house, originally finished in brick, and now rendered and painted. The stables and part of the house have been converted into apartments. For a time in...

15 July 2014

1869 – St. Joseph’s Church, Glenealy, Co. Wicklow

Architect: Pugin & Ashlin This was the final commission of the Pugin & Ashlin partnership; finished by Ashlin alone, and built on land given by Mr Tighe of Rossanagh. The west front is...

18 June 2010

1870 – Humewood, Kiltegan, Co. Wicklow

Architect: William White Humewood Castle was built between 1867 and 1870 to the design of an extraordinary architect, William White. The original concept was for “an occasional resort in the summer or the...