Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Munster

03 July 2014

1865 – Church of the Immaculate Conception, Killenaule, Co. Tipperary

Architect: J.J. McCarthy Designed by leading Irish church architect J.J. McCarthy, the foundation stone was laid in 1859, with the church largely complete and used for mass by 1865. Not built as illustrated,...

11 June 2014

1885 – Holy Ghost Hospital, Waterford

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Founded in 1545, in the nineteenth century the hospital removed to the suburbs and in 1882 construction of the present hospital was started. A stone over the main entrance reads...

30 May 2014

12th C. – St. Flannan’s Oratory, Killaloe, Co. Clare

Standing in the graveyard to the north of Killaloe Cathedral is St Flannan’s late 11th or early 12th century oratory. It may have been built to house the remains of the saint. The...

23 May 2014

1873 – Hickman Monument, Cork, Co. Cork

Architect: Samuel Murphy It has been our pleasing duty for some time past to record the great activity which prevails throughout the south of Ireland in all branches of the building trade, in...

14 May 2014

1878 – Warehouses, Merchants Quay, Waterford

Architect: Walter G. Doolin “We publish herewith an illustration of a new warehouse about to be erected for Messrs. Power and Co., Merchants-quay, Waterford. The ground storey will be of Bagnalstown granite, Portland...

04 May 2014

1870 – Cahermoyle House, Co. Limerick

Architect: J.J. McCarthy The present house was built in the early 1870s by Edward O’Brien, son of William Smith O’Brien replacing an earlier house which was the home of his grandmother the Dowager...

04 May 2014

15th C. – Castle Matrix, Rathkeale, Co. Limerick

The castle was built as a fortress during the early 1400s by the 7th Earl of Desmond. In the early 1600’s the castle was granted to the Southwell family who converted it to...

04 May 2014

1290s – Thomondgate Bridge, Limerick, Co. Limerick

Thomondgate was part of the “Northern” Liberties granted to Limerick in 1216. This area was the border between Munster and Connacht until County Clare, which was created in 1565, was annexed by Munster...

04 April 2014

1871 – Church of the Sacred Heart, Kilmoyley, Co. Kerry

Architect: George C. Ashlin Design published in 1868, but the foundation stone was not laid until 1871, with dedication in 1873. “Our principal illustration with this No. is a view of the Catholic...

Pages:1234567...40Next »