Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Cork

05 November 2009

1220 – Collegiate Church of St Mary, Youghal, Co. Cork

St Mary’s Collegiate Church is one of the oldest churches in the country and occupies a site devoted to religious worship since early Christian times. The building is now a National Monument. The...

08 March 2010

1446 – Blarney Castle, Co. Cork

The third castle built on this site, with a original wooden structure believed to have existed, although no evidence remains of this. Around 1210 this was replaced by a stone fortification, which was...

24 August 2010

1500 – Desmond Castle, Kinsale, Co. Cork

Desmond Castle was built as the Customs House for Kinsale about the year 1500 by Maurice FitzGerald, 9th Earl of Desmond, following the grant of the customs of the port of Kinsale to...

15 April 2010

1550s – Myrtle Grove, Youghal, Co. Cork

A tudor house dating from the 1550s that was inhabited by Sir Walter Raleigh during his time as Mayor of Youghal in the 1580s. With its tall chimneys, and many gables, the house...

03 February 2011

1595 – Market House, Kinsale, Co. Cork

The old market and court house is now Kinsales museum. With its distinctive dutch gables and slate hung facade, it is a striking design. It was here in 1915 that the inquest ito...

05 November 2009

1610 – Almshouses, Youghal, Co. Cork

Endowed by Sir Richard Boyle to house six old soldiers, who were to receive a pension of £5 per annum. This service was later extended to include widows. The six houses were built...

24 February 2012

1710 – Merchants Exchange, Cork

Architect: Twiss Jones Built between 1705 and 1710, for the conduct of business between Cork’s merchant classes, and replaced an earlier building at the junction of Castle Street & South Main Street. At...

09 August 2012

1710 – The Red House, Youghal, Co. Cork

Architect: Leuventhen Designed by the Dutch architect and builder Leuventhen, it was completed between 1703 and 1710 (dates vary) for the Uniacke family using imported red bricks as the quality of local brick...

06 November 2009

1726 – St. Anne’s, Shandon, Cork

St. Anne’s in Shandon is known more for its bells than the structure that houses them, due to the famous song “The Bells of Shandon” written by Francis Sylvester Mahony. It is a...

Pages:1234567...16Next »