Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Cork City

06 November 2009

1836 – St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, Cork

Architect: George Pain An excellent classical portico supported by six Corinthian columns, all topped by a campanile, makes this one of Cork’s finest classical buildings. The campanile is a cruciform tempietto supporting a...

06 November 2009

1839 – Savings Bank, Cork

Architects: Kearns Deane The result of an architectural competition held in 1839, the former Cork Savings Bank (now part of Trustee Savings Bank) was designed by the firm of Thomas and Kearns Deane...

13 December 2011

1847 – The Eglinton Lunatic Asylum, Cork

Architect: William Atkins Originally designed as three separate ranges spectactularly sited overlooking the river Lee. Constructed between 1847 and 1852, the ranges were linked by low arcades which also linked a chapel and...

13 December 2011

1847 – University College Cork

Architect: Thomas Deane One of three colleges constructed in Belfast, Galway and Cork, the original buildings of UCC were nominally designed by Thomas Deane. However it is now more accepted that most of...

12 March 2014

1849 – Royal Triumphal Archway, Anglesea Bridge, Cork

Decorative archway built to welcome Queen Victoria to Cork. Similar archways were built in Belfast and Dublin to mark this and subsequent Royal visits. All were temporary structures.

06 November 2009

1849 – Shandon Butter Market, Cork

Architect: John Benson Built close to St. Anne’s, the former butter market was once the centre of Cork trade. This is the rear entrance with its triumphal archway flanked by coupled columns and...

06 November 2009

1850 – St. Mary’s Priory, Cork

Architect: William Atkins Sited alongside the classical St. Mary’s catholic church, the priory by William Atkins is a mixture of classical and victorian institutional gothic. It may have been a Georgian house with...

06 March 2013

1851 – Design for St. Mary’s (North) Cathedral, Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson A design for reconstruction comprising a new tower, lengthening of the nave, the insertion of stone mullioned windows and an arch on which a steeple was to rest. The...

21 August 2013

1851 – St. Maries of the Isle Mercy Convent, Sharman Crawford St., Cork

Architect: William Atkins Published in The Building News, December 7 1850. Constructed in red sandstone with limestone dressings. The proposed spire was never completed. Described at the time of constructed as: “This building...