Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Cork City

23 April 2012

1852 – Cork & Bandon Railway Station, Albert Quay, Cork

Architect: Joshua Hargrave Railway terminus on Albert Quay for the Cork & Bandon Railway. The railway company changed its name to Cork, Bandon and South Coast Railway in 1888 and became part of...

01 December 2011

1852 – National Exhibition, Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson The National Exhibition was housed in a cruciform building, with four ‘transepts’, specially designed and erected at the Corn Exchange on Albert Quay, the site of the present City...

08 March 2013

1855 – Cork Opera House (The Athenaeum), Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson / C.J. Phipps The building, originally called ‘The Athenaeum’, was finished by early 1855. It hosted its first performance on 29 January 1855, a concert in aid of the...

06 November 2009

1855 – National Irish Bank, 71 South Mall, Cork

Architect: William Caldbeck Good quality bank branch on South Mall. Much closer in size to bank branches in Irish country towns rather than other banks along the mall. Of five bays, the two...

08 March 2013

1858 – Royal Victoria Hotel & Baths, Glenbrook, Co. Cork

Glenbrook was originally a seaside resort with facilities such as Turkish Bath-houses which became established there. The first of these was the Royal Victoria Monkstown and Passage Baths, which opened in 1838. This...

06 November 2009

1860 – Central Markets, Cork

Architect: John Benson Home to the renowned English Market, the Central Markets have their primary entrance on Princes Street. the markets area network of pedestrian passageways linking various streets and alleys in the...

13 March 2014

1860 – Penrose Quay Railway Station, Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson The original railway terminus for the Great Southern and Western Railway. Approached from Penrose’s Quay, and superceded by a new adjacent station in 1893 approached from Glenmire Road. The...

06 November 2009

1860 – The Assembly Rooms, South Mall, Cork

Architect Richard Brash & Robert Walker ‘The Assembly Rooms’, designed by Richard Rolt Brash c. 1860, originally known as ‘Protestant Hall’ hosting well know speakers and opera companies of the time. In 1911...

06 November 2009

1861 – St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Cork

Architect: Kearns Deane By popular local legend, the architect Kearns Deane gave his services free, although he was not a catholic. Perhaps as a member of the local Deane family of architects, he...