Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Cork City

16 January 2011

1930 – Cork Gas Consumer Co., Patrick St., Cork

Architect: Chillingworth & Levie Remodelled in an art deco style in 1930 by Daniel A. Levie. Demolished.

15 January 2011

1867 – Theatre Royal, Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson The Theatre Royal was founded by the actor Spranger Barry and was opened in 1760. It was modelled on the Crow Street Theatre in Dublin where Barry had previously...

05 November 2010

1888 – Bacon Curing Factory, Kemp Street, Cork

Architect: Robert Walker Belonging to Lunham Brothers, a Birds Eye Perspective View of the new factory including plan was published in The Architect, February 24th 1888. According to the guide for the Cork...

14 October 2010

1885 – St Finbarr’s College, Farranferris, Cork

Architect: Robert Walker Designed by Robert Walker for The Most Rev Dr. Delany as a Diocesan College attached to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Cork and Ross. A secondary school only in its...

14 October 2010

1888 – Capuchin Convent, Charlotte Quay, Cork

Architect: Robert Walker Front elevation including ground plan as published in The Architect, February 24th 1888. Adjoining the fantastically ornate Holy Trinity church.

27 September 2010

1934 – Design for Airport, Cork

Unexecuted design from the 1930s for an airport for Cork City. Over the years, a number of sites were considered for both an airport for landplanes and a seaplane base.

09 June 2010

1880 – Parnell Bridge, Cork

Architect: T. Claxton Fiddler The old Anglesea Bridge, built in the 1830s, could not cope with the volume of traffic using the bridge by the 1870s. Cork Corporation decided to replace the old...

26 February 2010

1999 – Unbuilt Cork – Cork County Hall Redevelopment

Architect: de Blacam and Meagher Architects To redevelop Cork County Hall, Ireland’s tallest building, to provide improved and extended accommodation, de Blacam and Meagher’s design was the runner-up in competition.

08 February 2010

1828 – Christ Church, South Main St., Cork

Architect: George Pain / W.H. Hill Also known as Holy Trinity Church. Originally constructed in 1720 to a design by John Coltsman. By the 1820s, it was in a poor state of repair,...