Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Cork City

06 November 2009

1902 – Beamish & Crawford Stabling, Cork

Architect: Houston & Houston The former Stables for the Beamish & Crawford brewery and now an enterprise centre, this is one of the best industrial buildings in the city. The corner office is...

08 March 2013

1905 – Carnegie Library, Anglesea Street, Cork

Architect: Henry A. Cutler Foundation stone laid by Andrew Carnegie in 1903 with the building opening in 1905. Located on Anglesea Street next to City Hall, this elegant building lasted for only 15...

06 November 2009

1905 – Oval Bar, Cork

Architect: Houston & Houston Designed by the architects Houston & Houston for Beamish & Crawford for who they had designed other buildings, this corner bar has traces of Art Nouveau placed over a...

06 November 2009

1912 – AIB, South Mall, Cork

Architect: Henry H. Hill Distinctive and imposing bank building on a prominent site, in the main financial district of Cork. Built for the Munster and Leinster Bank, now a branch of Allied Irish...

05 April 2011

1913 – Coliseum Theatre, MacCurtain Street, Cork

Architect: Arthur & Henry H. Hill Constructed as a Picture Theatre, the Coliseum remained in used until the 1970s.

06 November 2009

1918 – Counting House, Beamish & Crawford Brewery, Cork

Architect: Houston & Houston There was a brewery on this site as far back as the 17th century and before that a monastery. William Beamish and William Crawford acquired the brewery in 1791...

05 November 2009

1922 – No. 28-30 (Pennys), Patrick Street, Cork

Architect: Robert Walker Formerly the site of the Munster Arcade, the building was designed by Robert Walker for Robertson Leslie Ferguson, following the following the destruction of this part of the city by...

16 January 2014

1922 – Urban renewal proposal for Cork city

After the city centre of Cork was burned in December 1920, by a fire set by the Black and Tans as retribution for republican attacks, there was a debate on whether to re-build...

06 November 2009

1923 – Debenham’s, St. Patrick’s Street, Cork

Architect: Chillingworth & Levie Replacing an earlier department store that was burned down in 1920 along with most of this part of St. Patrick’s Street. A distinctive design with the oddly shaped copper...