Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Cork

06 November 2009

1880 – 39 St. Patrick’s Street, Cork

Corner-sited end-of-terrace six-bay four-storey former department store, built c. 1880, now in use as retail outlet and bank. Rendered parapet with moulded eaves course. Probably a good example of how this side of...

09 June 2010

1880 – Parnell Bridge, Cork

Architect: T. Claxton Fiddler The old Anglesea Bridge, built in the 1830s, could not cope with the volume of traffic using the bridge by the 1870s. Cork Corporation decided to replace the old...

09 June 2010

1881 – Carrigmahon Villas, Cork

Architect: Kearns Deane Carrigmahon Villas were built in the 1880s in the area between Glenbrook Baths and Tobin’s Quay. In 1913 one of the villas was destroyed by fire and the others were...

12 June 2013

1883 – City Hall, Albert Quay, Cork

Cork City Hall began its life as the City’s Corn Exchange, the main frontage of which was constructed in 1843. The location was also used by two industrial exhibitions in 1852 and 1883,...

24 February 2012

1883 – Irish Industrial Exhibition, Cork

Architect: Robert Walker The Cork Industrial and Fine Art Exhibition of 1883 was visited by over 10,000 people. Amongst the main exhibitions was a popular arts hall, which was seen as a reflection...

06 November 2009

1885 – McKenzies Building, Cork

Fine riverside Lombardo-Romanesque warehouse with a continuous glazed arcade on the upper storey over large round-headed openings. The elaborate render detail enlivens the façade of this unusual building, and enhances and articulates the...

14 October 2010

1885 – St Finbarr’s College, Farranferris, Cork

Architect: Robert Walker Designed by Robert Walker for The Most Rev Dr. Delany as a Diocesan College attached to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Cork and Ross. A secondary school only in its...

05 November 2010

1888 – Bacon Curing Factory, Kemp Street, Cork

Architect: Robert Walker Belonging to Lunham Brothers, a Birds Eye Perspective View of the new factory including plan was published in The Architect, February 24th 1888. According to the guide for the Cork...

14 October 2010

1888 – Capuchin Convent, Charlotte Quay, Cork

Architect: Robert Walker Front elevation including ground plan as published in The Architect, February 24th 1888. Adjoining the fantastically ornate Holy Trinity church.