Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Cork

23 September 2009

1913 – St. Colman’s Cathedral, Cobh, Co. Cork

Architect: E.W. Pugin & G.C. Ashlin Designed by Edward W. Pugin and George Ashlin, this magnificent cathedral, which dominates Cork Harbour from land and sea, took 47 years to build, and was completed...

06 November 2009

1918 – Counting House, Beamish & Crawford Brewery, Cork

Architect: Houston & Houston There was a brewery on this site as far back as the 17th century and before that a monastery. William Beamish and William Crawford acquired the brewery in 1791...

05 November 2009

1922 – No. 28-30 (Pennys), Patrick Street, Cork

Architect: Robert Walker Formerly the site of the Munster Arcade, the building was designed by Robert Walker for Robertson Leslie Ferguson, following the following the destruction of this part of the city by...

16 January 2014

1922 – Urban renewal proposal for Cork city

After the city centre of Cork was burned in December 1920, by a fire set by the Black and Tans as retribution for republican attacks, there was a debate on whether to re-build...

06 November 2009

1923 – Debenham’s, St. Patrick’s Street, Cork

Architect: Chillingworth & Levie Replacing an earlier department store that was burned down in 1920 along with most of this part of St. Patrick’s Street. A distinctive design with the oddly shaped copper...

05 November 2009

1925 – Brown Thomas, St. Patrick’s Street, Cork

Architect: Henry H. Hill Built in the 1920s to the design of architect Henry H. Hill, this building replaced an earlier department store on the site which was burnt in 1920 along with...

06 November 2009

1926 – Winthrop Arcade, Cork

Architect: Chillingworth & Levie One of Munster’s oldest covered shopping arcades, Winthrop Arcade, built in 1926, has a distinctive mock Tudor façade. The original polished brass shop fronts with stained mahogany doors remain...

06 November 2009

1927 – No 48-49 St. Patrick’s Street, Cork

Architect: W.H. Hill Former Burtons store on St. Patrick’s Street now in use by another retailer with upper floors used as storage. A very unsympathetic shop façade does this fine stone building no...

05 November 2009

1927 – No. 51 – 54 St. Patrick’s Street, Cork

Architect: James F. McMullen Ornate large former department store building now divided into smaller retail units. The upper storeys look neglected and the whole building has a forlorn air. The property was Grant’s...