Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Cork

19 March 2012

1823 – Mitchelstown Castle, Mitchelstown, Co. Cork

Architect: James Pain & George Pain In 1823, after his succession to his title, George, 3rd Earl of Kingston, demolished the previous Palladian house and replaced it with a new castle designed by...

08 November 2012

1825 – Convamore House, Ballyhooly, Co. Cork

Architect: James Pain Large classical house built on an elevated site overlooking the River Blackwater, constructed for the 1st Earl of Listowel. It remained the Irish seat of the family until it was...

23 March 2012

1825 – Design for Fota House, Co. Cork

Architect: William Vitruvius Morrison An unbuilt scheme to enlarge the 18th century house at Fota. Ultimately, the Morrisons did extend the house but in a more restrained classical scheme. This scheme by William...

30 April 2010

1826 – St Patrick’s Pro-Cathedral, Skibbereen, Co. Cork

Architect: Brother Michael Augustine O’Riordan A t-shaped church with galleried transepts, designed by Michael Augustine O’Riordan. O’Riordan, was born in Doneraile, Co. Cork circa 1780. He was a remarkable man by any standards....

08 February 2010

1828 – Christ Church, South Main St., Cork

Architect: George Pain / W.H. Hill Also known as Holy Trinity Church. Originally constructed in 1720 to a design by John Coltsman. By the 1820s, it was in a poor state of repair,...

05 November 2009

1828 – St. Brendan the Navigator, Church of Ireland, Bantry, Co. Cork

Architect: Henry Edward Kendall Fine Regency Gothic church designed by English architect Henry Edward Kendall. Described by Samuel Lewis, in A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), as ‘a neat edifice in the early...

26 October 2012

1829 – Blackrock Castle, Co. Cork

Architect: James Pain Blackrock Castle was in the ownership of the City of Cork following a charter of James I to the City in 1608. The castle is later referred to in the...

06 November 2009

1831 – 80 South Mall, Cork

Architect: James Pain End-of-terrace seven-bay three-storey with attic premises in Victorian Italianate style, c. 1825; built as The County Club; only facade of original building remains; premises reconstructed, c. 1975. Unfortunately the originally...

21 November 2013

1834 – Church of the Immaculate Conception, Mitchelstown, Co. Cork

The church was built as part of the town planning scheme of George Kingston,the Earl of Kingston, on land donated by him in 1824. Described by Lewis as ‘a handsome cruciform edifice, in...