Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Cork

06 November 2009

1835 – Courthouse, Cork

Architect: George Pain / W.H. Hill Originally designed by the Pains in 1835, though built by the Deane family of architects. The interior was destroyed by a fire in 1891 and subsequently redesigned...

06 November 2009

1836 – St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, Cork

Architect: George Pain An excellent classical portico supported by six Corinthian columns, all topped by a campanile, makes this one of Cork’s finest classical buildings. The campanile is a cruciform tempietto supporting a...

05 November 2009

1838 – Protestant Almshouse, Youghal, Co. Cork

Architect: William Tinsley Reportedly designed in 1826 but not built for over a decade, the Protestant Asylum was built in 1838 by the Protestant Relief Society to provide rooms for the homeless. It...

06 November 2009

1839 – Savings Bank, Cork

Architects: Kearns Deane The result of an architectural competition held in 1839, the former Cork Savings Bank (now part of Trustee Savings Bank) was designed by the firm of Thomas and Kearns Deane...

05 November 2009

1842 – Former Methodist Church, Bantry, Co. Cork

Architect: Richard Lee Builder: J. Murphy, Bantry.

13 December 2011

1847 – The Eglinton Lunatic Asylum, Cork

Architect: William Atkins Originally designed as three separate ranges spectactularly sited overlooking the river Lee. Constructed between 1847 and 1852, the ranges were linked by low arcades which also linked a chapel and...

13 December 2011

1847 – University College Cork

Architect: Thomas Deane One of three colleges constructed in Belfast, Galway and Cork, the original buildings of UCC were nominally designed by Thomas Deane. However it is now more accepted that most of...

12 March 2014

1849 – Royal Triumphal Archway, Anglesea Bridge, Cork

Decorative archway built to welcome Queen Victoria to Cork. Similar archways were built in Belfast and Dublin to mark this and subsequent Royal visits. All were temporary structures.

06 November 2009

1849 – Shandon Butter Market, Cork

Architect: John Benson Built close to St. Anne’s, the former butter market was once the centre of Cork trade. This is the rear entrance with its triumphal archway flanked by coupled columns and...