Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Kerry

10 November 2009

1843 – Muckross House, Killarney, Co. Kerry

Architect: William Burn Muckross House is best known for its parkland setting beside the Lower Lake at Killarney, but the house is also worthy of its location. It was built between 1839 and...

29 November 2011

1847 – Ardtully House, Kilgarvan, Co. Kerry

Architect: Ardtully House was constructed in 1847 by Sir Richard Orpen, a Dublin based solicitor whose family had connections to the area. Built on the site of the old Ardtully castle which was...

26 October 2013

1853 – Railway Station, Killarney, Co. Kerry

Architect: Joshua Hargrave The railway terminus for the Great Southern and Western Railway, directly opposite their hotel property. The hotel is considered to be one of the first hotels owned by a railway...

06 June 2013

1854 – Great Southern Hotel, Killarney, Co. Kerry

Architect: Frederick Darley Constructed after an architectural competition in 1852, that was won by William Atkins with a premium also awards to Richard Brash. The railway line to Killarney from Dublin was about...

15 October 2012

1860s – Derryquin Castle, Sneem, Co. Kerry

Architect: J.F. Fuller Designed by James Franklin Fuller, built for the Bland family. The main block was of three storeys, with a four-storey octagonal tower running through its centre. The entrance door was...

10 November 2009

1862 – St. Mary’s Church, Dingle, Co. Kerry

Architect: J.J McCarthy St. Mary’s was originally a neo-Gothic church designed by J. J. McCarthy. The foundation stone was laid in 1862. It originally had a nave and aisles separated by arcades, supported...

04 April 2014

1869 – St Moling & St Carthage Church, Brosna, Co. Kerry

Architect: George C. Ashlin Revised design for catholic church in Brosna -the initial design had a tower and spire, but due to costs, a simple belfry on the west facade was decided upon....

18 October 2011

1870 – Bank of Ireland, Tralee, Co. Kerry

Architect: Sandham Symes Still in use today, although a more recent banking hall has been constructed in front of the original house. The original house was converted to a bank by Sandham Symes...

07 October 2014

1870 – Design for High Altar, Lispole, Co. Kerry

Architect: John Scannell Designed by Cork-based sculptor John Scannell. Published in The Irish Builder, October 1 1870.