Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Kerry

04 April 2014

1871 – Church of the Sacred Heart, Kilmoyley, Co. Kerry

Architect: George C. Ashlin Design published in 1868, but the foundation stone was not laid until 1871, with dedication in 1873. “Our principal illustration with this No. is a view of the Catholic...

03 April 2014

1871 – Co-operative Wholesale Society, Tralee, Co. Kerry

The Co-operative Wholesale Society, although it only commenced business in 1864, had by 1866 already established a depot in Ireland, at Tipperary, for the direct purchase of Irish produce. The policy of direct...

22 October 2009

1871 – Holy Cross Dominican Church, Tralee, Co. Kerry

Architect: Pugin & Ashlin Uncomplete, as the expected donations to complete the spire did not materialise. The interior has a lovely wooden roof supported by tall arches on marble shaft columns. The east...

18 August 2012

1877 – Cahernane House, Killarney, Co. Kerry

Architect: J.F. Fuller Once one of the smaller country houses of the Herbert, Earls of Pembroke. Originally known as Cahirnane, it is a fairly plain house with gabled and large victorian plate glass...

15 October 2012

1878 – Killarney House, Co. Kerry

Architect: George Devey Designed as a replacement for Kenmare House of 1726 as the seat of the Earls of Kenmare. Legend has it that the site was selected by Queen Victoria on her...

17 September 2009

1879 – Roman Catholic Church, Castleisland, Co. Kerry

Architect: Dominick J. Coakley Selected design from seven submitted. Tower and spire later, from 1901. Published in The Building News, November 14 1879: “This design was selected in a competition wherein seven architects...

26 May 2013

1880c – Royal Hotel, Valentia, Co. Kerry

Now described as a Bed & Breakfast with a barrather than a hotel, the Royal is sited by the quayside on Valentia Island. Originally constructed circa 1880 and later extended in the 1930s....

21 October 2012

1885 – Railway Bridge, Killorglin, Co. Kerry

Architect: S.G. Frazer The bridge was erected in 1885 as part of the Farranfore to Renard railway line which was closed in 1960. It is known locally as the Metal Bridge and is...

18 October 2011

1889 – Coast Guard Station, Ballydavid, Co. Kerry

Arhitect: Robert Cochrane Standard public works arrangement for coast guard facilities around the coastline. They usually had a terrace of three or more houses with a taller house or tower to one end....