Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Limerick

11 November 2009

1751- John’s Square, Limerick

Architect: Francis Bindon Limerick was still a fortified city when John Pardon and Edmund Sexton started work on the building of New Square, now known as John’s Square. This development designed by Francis...

05 November 2011

1760s – Devon Castle, Newcastle West, Co. Limerick

The original Fitzgerald castle was granted to the Courtenay family in 1591. The Castle was occupied by David Mahony and his son Peirce Mahony in the mid 18th century. Bence Jones writes that...

11 November 2009

1769 – Hunt Museum (former Custom House), Limerick

Architect: Davis Ducart The Custom House was designed by Italian architect Daviso de Arcort better known as Davis Ducart. Davis Ducart was well known in Ireland for his work in smaller country houses....

23 March 2013

1770 – Greenmount, Co. Limerick

Built in 1770, a large two storey house over basement, home of the Green family. In the 1960s the house was demolished and a large modern house built by the Earl of Harrington.

23 May 2012

1770c – Attyflin House, Patrickswell, Co. Limerick

A two storey mid 18th century house with a five bay centrak block. The two 2-bay wings are early 19th century additions. A fine Gibbsian door surround graces the main front.

24 February 2012

1774 – Poor House, Limerick

Architect: Rev. Deane Hoare In 1773 the Limerick county and city Grand Juries came together with a budget of 500 pounds to build a poorhouse on land donated by the local Bishop. The...

22 May 2013

1776 – Tervoe House, Kilkeedy, Co. Limerick

Architect: Built in 1776 by Colonel W.T. Monsell MP on the site of an earlier house. Demolished in the 1950s. Photograph from the Irish Tourist Association Survey 1943-44.

22 May 2013

1781 – Ash Hill Towers, Kilmallock, Co. Limerick

Architect: Charles Anderson An earlier house of 1781 that was extended and castellated to designs possibly by Charles Anderson. Described in Lewis Topographical Dictionary as “a large castellated mansion now in progress of...

27 February 2014

1789 – City Gaol and County Court House, Merchant’s Quay, Limerick

Architect: William Blackburn Demolished in 1988 to facilitate the construction of the new City Council headquarters. Blackburn was a London architect and pioneer of radial planning in prison design. According to Lewis, “The...