Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Limerick

02 May 2011

1836 – Thomond Bridge, Limerick

Architect: James & George Pain The current seven-arch bridge was built in 1836, replacing the earlier bridge which was also alongside King John’s Castle. The architect James Pain had surveyed the earlier medieval...

09 April 2012

1837 – Mont de Piété, Limerick

Architect: William O’Hara Designed as a pawn service for the poor of Limerick by Matthew Barrington, who also founded the hospital alongside, many details of this building are uncertain. It is assumed that...

26 March 2013

1839 – Former Bank, 1 Mallow Street, Limerick

Architect: James Pain Former branch of the Provincial Bank of Ireland, which later after a series of mergers became AIB. Fine stone facade of five bays with symmetrical treatment of the entrances to...

11 November 2009

1839 – Permanent TSB Bank, Limerick

Architect: W.H. Owen / Sir Thomas Newenham Deane Originally built as the Cork and Limerick Savings Bank; now after a series of bank amalgamations, the Permanent TSB Bank. This is one of the...

11 November 2009

1839 – Tontine Terrace, Pery Square, Limerick

Architect: James Pain This terrace in Pery Square was built in 1838, and is one of the finest example of Georgian architecture in the city. It is the only terrace in the city...

11 November 2009

1840 – Toll House, Limerick

Architect: James Pain This humourous Gothic Style folly with exaggerated crenellations was designed and built by the architect James Pain around 1840. James and his brother George were also responsible for the design...

26 February 2012

1841 – Limerick Union Workhouse

Architect: George Wilkinson Designed to replace the city`s overcrowded poorhouase, the new workhouse of 1841 was designed by George Wilkinson on an 11-acre site to the north-west of the city. Intended to hold...

11 November 2009

1844 – St Michael’s Church of Ireland, Limerick

Architect: James Pain / William Fogerty Prior to the construction of this fine Gothic church, there was an earlier Georgian church constructed with the development of Newtown Pery (the Georgian area of Limerick)....

27 February 2013

1845 – Leamy House, Upper Hartstonge St., Limerick, Co. Limerick

Architect: William Atkins Selected after an architectural competition, Atkins’s designs for the former Leamy School are in a Tudor Revival style with a central crenellated tower.