Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Limerick

22 May 2013

1848 – Castle Oliver / Clonodfoy Castle, Co. Limerick

Architect: G.F. Jones Also known as Castle Oliver, and constructed by English architect George Fowler Jones between 1845-48 for sisters Elizabeth and Mary Isabella Oliver-Gascoigne. Constructed in the Scottish Baronial style of a...

22 May 2013

1848 – Clonodfoy Gateway, Co. Limerick

Architect: G.F. Jones Extravagent gateway and lodge by George Fowler Jones to accompany the grand baronial castle he designed for the Oliver-Gascoigne sisters. Quite a severe design, and quite brooding in comparison to...

13 December 2011

1856 – Protestant Orphan Society Hall, Limerick

Architect: William Fogerty Published in The Builder, January 19, 1856. Two storey collegiate gothic orphanage now converted into offices. Original windows have been replaced with ugly uPVC versions.

07 March 2014

1858 – Cannock, Tait and Co. Department Store, Limerick

Architect: William Fogerty Part of the building was constructed in 1858 and described in The Irish Builder, February 1 1859: “Messrs. Cannock, Tait and Co’s premises occupy a plot of ground 210 feet...

04 May 2011

1860s – McBirney & Co., Limerick

McBirney’s Drapery Emporium which was taken over by Roches Stores in the 1940’s, but was burned to the ground in a disastrous fire in 1948

08 February 2013

1860s – Turkish Baths, Charles St., Limerick

Architect: Richard Barter Turkish baths constructed to the Improved Turkish Bath principles of Dr. Richard Barter with a design by his nephew, also Richard Barter. Closed in the late 19th century.

11 November 2009

1861 – St John’s Cathedral, Limerick

Architect: Philip Charles Hardwick The English architect of St. John’s Cathedral, Philip Charles Hardwick was at work at Adare Manor when he was commissioned to design this Roman Catholic cathedral. the main body...

26 March 2013

1868 – Church of the Sacred Heart, The Crescent, Limerick

Architect: William E. Corbett / W.H. Byrne Designed by local architect William Edward Corbett, but possibly to plans by Charles Geoghegan. The new church was to be incorporated into the Georgian terrace, t-shaped,...

04 May 2014

1870 – Cahermoyle House, Co. Limerick

Architect: J.J. McCarthy The present house was built in the early 1870s by Edward O’Brien, son of William Smith O’Brien replacing an earlier house which was the home of his grandmother the Dowager...