Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Limerick

25 March 2014

1871 – Design for Church of Ireland, Caherconlish, Co. Limerick

Architect: E.H. Carson Not constructed as illustrated – the church as built was a single-cell structure with porch and vestry – both of which have decorative doorways. Instead of a tower, a simple...

11 November 2009

1872 – Ormston House, Nos.9-11 Patrick St., Limerick

Former 19th century commercial premises now redeveloped. The original large shop premises at ground level has been subdivided into multiple units. The upper levels have also been gutted, however the building still has...

24 May 2013

1874 – Dromore Castle, Co. Limerick

Architect: Godwin & Crisp Dromore Castle is a very distinctive building sitting high on a hill overlooking two lakes in Co. Limerick, designed in the Gothic revival style by Edward William Godwin and...

07 March 2014

1874 – Todd’s Department Store, Limerick

Architect: William S. Cox Todd’s was a Limerick landmark with a stately interior, long and wide mahogany counters, and an all-round balcony with cast-iron ornamental railings. The store was founded by William Todd...

11 November 2009

1875 – Plassey House, Limerick

Architect: Joseph Fogerty & Son Italianate style villa now part of the buildings of the Univerity of Limerick and known to the students as the white house (because it contained the offices of...

11 November 2009

1884 – Bank of Ireland, O’Connell Street, Limerick

Architect: Millar & Symes Fine corner bank with large well-lit banking hall at ground level. The severity of the upper floors is contrasted with the large round-headed windows and gently curving entrance bay....

15 April 2012

1884 – St. Finnian’s Church, Kilfinane, Co. Limerick

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Completed in 1884, but designed in 1877-78 with illustrations published in The Building News, March 22nd 1878.

16 February 2011

1889 – SS. Peter & Paul Church, Kilmallock, Co. Limerick

Architect: J.J. McCarthy Building was commenced in 1879 when the Bishop of Limerick, Dr. George Butler laid the foundation stone on July 6th, but not completed until 1889 after the architect’s death. Simple...

15 March 2013

1901 – Presbyterian Church, Mallow St., Limerick

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Construction started on this red-brick church with Portland stone dressings in 1899, with dedication in 1901. Decommissioned as a church during the 1970s after which it was temporarily used as...