Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Limerick

19 July 2010

1902 – Carnegie Library and Museum at Limerick

Architect: C.F.A. Voysey Unsuccessful entry for a competition for a new public library for Limerick. This design heavily influenced the 1912 Library, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin by T.J. Byrne.

01 September 2013

1903 – Mary Immaculate College, Limerick

Architect: W.H. Byrne The College was established as a dedicated primary teacher training college in 1898 by Bishop Edward Thomas O’Dwyer, Roman Catholic Bishop of Limerick and the Sisters of Mercy. Its foundation...

28 May 2013

1904 – St. Joseph’s Church, O’Connell Ave., Limerick

Architect: William E. Corbett Not completed as designed due to the lack of money available, St. Joseph’s is clearly lacking a completed tower. Originally, it was intended to construct a fine hexastyle Corinthian...

28 May 2011

1904 – Unbuilt Design for St. Joseph’s Church, Limerick

Architect: William E. Corbett Not completed as designed due to the amount of money available, Originally, it was intended to construct a fine hexastyle Corinthian portico to the front, as well as an...

27 February 2014

1905 – Shannon Rowing Club, Limerick

Architect: William Clifford Smith An architectural competition held in 1902 resulted in a commission for a young English architect, William Clifford Smith to design the club. Completed in 1905 at a cost of...

17 March 2013

1907 – Gaelscoil, Bridge St., Limerick, Co. Limerick

Architect: Joseph P. O’Malley Former Limerick city courthouse that was extended to designs by Joseph P. O’Malley in 1907 by adding a second floor to provide four new classrooms. The original building of...

03 June 2012

1911 – Village Hall and Club House, Adare, Co. Limerick

Architect: William Clifford Smith According to Jeremy Williams, “The original scheme for the hall survives as a drawing, a brilliant adaptation of Voysey’s idiom to a communal building by the English architect, Clifford...

05 November 2011

1932 – St. Mary’s Church, Limerick, Co. Limerick

Architect: Ashlin & Coleman New church constructed on site of church of 1749. The Altar rails (1931) and Lady Altar (1931) were supplied by Giorgio Favilla.

10 February 2014

1940 – Debenhams, O’Connell Street, Limerick,

A fine corner building, stylistically old-fashioned by the time of its construction. The corner entrance has a a double-height polished limestone surround. The facades feature stepped stylised Doric piers with fluted capitals, rising...