Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Munster

07 February 2014

1815 – Imperial Hotel, Cork

The present main façade and entrance to the Imperial Hotel was originally constructed as a separate commercial building on South Mall. The hotel was originally on Pembroke Street, and later combined with it.

07 February 2014

1854 – Royal Cork Yacht Club, Cobh, Co. Cork

Architect: Anthony Salvin Designed by Anthony Salvin (1799-1881), a distinguished English architect and an expert in fortified architecture. He was involved in the restoration of many castles including the Tower of London and...

04 February 2014

1861 – St. Patrick’s Bridge, Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson Fine masonry bridge with three elliptical archies to designs by engineer-architect Sir John Benson. It appears that he provided three designs for the site: one iron swivel; iron single...

16 January 2014

1922 – Urban renewal proposal for Cork city

After the city centre of Cork was burned in December 1920, by a fire set by the Black and Tans as retribution for republican attacks, there was a debate on whether to re-build...

16 January 2014

1890 – Unbuilt Design for Holy Trinity, Cork

Architect: Pugin & Ashlin Competition entry to design a facade for Holy Trinity Church in Cork city by Pugin & Ashlin. The church was started in the 1820s to designs by George Pain,...

21 November 2013

1834 – Church of the Immaculate Conception, Mitchelstown, Co. Cork

The church was built as part of the town planning scheme of George Kingston,the Earl of Kingston, on land donated by him in 1824. Described by Lewis as ‘a handsome cruciform edifice, in...

26 October 2013

1853 – Railway Station, Killarney, Co. Kerry

Architect: Joshua Hargrave The railway terminus for the Great Southern and Western Railway, directly opposite their hotel property. The hotel is considered to be one of the first hotels owned by a railway...

16 September 2013

1834 – Trinity Church, Catherine St., Limerick, Co. Limerick

Architect: Joseph Fogerty Built as a Church of Ireland chapel for a nearby Asylum for Blind Women. The money for construction was raised in Ireland and England by Rev. Edward Newenham Hoare. Now...

11 September 2013

1814 – Swiss Cottage, Cahir, Co. Tipperary

Architect: John Nash A “cottage orné” built in the early 1800s by Richard Butler, 1st Earl of Glengall to a design by the famous Regency architect John Nash. Its interior contains a graceful...