Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Munster

23 September 2009

1872 – Sacred Heart Church, Monkstown, Co. Cork

Architect: Pugin & Ashlin Designed by E.W. Pugin & G.C. Ashlin in 1866, opened in 1872, but the church was not finally completed until 1881 when the spire was finished. Built out of...

23 September 2009

1873 – Holy Trinity Church, Crosshaven, Co. Cork

Architect: William Burges Designed by William Burges after he had won the commission for St Finn Barre’s Cathedral in Cork, this little parish church was never completed. After the main body of the...

21 September 2009

1879 – St Finn Barre’s Cathedral, Cork

Architect: William Burges Sited on a hillside above the south channel of the River Lee, St Finn Barre’s Cathedral is a miniature cathedral but a decorative giant. The exterior of this quite small...

17 September 2009

1879 – Roman Catholic Church, Castleisland, Co. Kerry

Architect: Dominick J. Coakley Selected design from seven submitted. Tower and spire later, from 1901. Published in The Building News, November 14 1879: “This design was selected in a competition wherein seven architects...

17 September 2009

1882 – Church of the Sacred Heart, Templemore, Co. Tipperary

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Designed in 1877, this fine Gothic revival church by George Ashlin is largely intact inside. As published in The Building News, October 4th 1878. pened for celebration of mass in...

17 September 2009

1877 – Mooresfort Chapel, Co. Tipperary

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Unbuilt proposal for private chapel published in The Building News, December 7 1877.

17 September 2009

1876 – Tipperary Town Hall, Co. Tipperary

Architect: T.G. Jackson The only Irish work of Oxford-based architect Thomas Jackson, the former townhall is now refurbished as a local theatre after a period of neglect, and several fires. The interior was...

09 March 2009

1889 – Town Hall, Banba Sq., Nenagh, Co. Tipperary

Architect: Robert P. Gill Still extant, but now in use as Nenagh Arts Centre. Constructed as a 3-bay buiulding with fine round-headed doors and windows.

19 July 2008

1818 – Custom House, Cork

Architect: William Hargrave The first known Custom House in Cork was built in 1724 in Emmet Place and is now part of the Crawford Art Gallery. In 1818 a new Custom House was...