Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Munster

01 September 2013

1903 – Mary Immaculate College, Limerick

Architect: W.H. Byrne The College was established as a dedicated primary teacher training college in 1898 by Bishop Edward Thomas O’Dwyer, Roman Catholic Bishop of Limerick and the Sisters of Mercy. Its foundation...

21 August 2013

1863 – McCarthy Memorial, Mallow, Co. Cork

Architect: J.J. McCarthy From The Builder, January 30 1864: “This monument, recently erected in the parish church of Mallow, county Cork, in memory of the late Very Rev. Justin Canon McCarthy, is composed...

21 August 2013

1851 – St. Maries of the Isle Mercy Convent, Sharman Crawford St., Cork

Architect: William Atkins Published in The Building News, December 7 1850. Constructed in red sandstone with limestone dressings. The proposed spire was never completed. Described at the time of constructed as: “This building...

13 August 2013

1890 – Competitive Design for Holy Trinity, Cork

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew Competition entry to design a facade for Holy Trinity Church in Cork city. The church was started in the 1820s to designs by George Pain, with the facade and...

08 August 2013

1894 – De La Salle College, Waterford, Co. Waterford

Architect: W.H. Byrne The De La Salle Brothers arrived in the city in 1870 and opened a successful primary school at Patrick Street in Waterford city. In 1887, the search began for a...

12 July 2013

1887 – Rearcross Church, Co. Tipperary

The church was originally designed by a Swiss architect for a Wesleyan congregation as temporary structure in Northumbria and used by a mining community there. In 1887, the parish priest of Kilcomman in...

12 June 2013

1883 – City Hall, Albert Quay, Cork

Cork City Hall began its life as the City’s Corn Exchange, the main frontage of which was constructed in 1843. The location was also used by two industrial exhibitions in 1852 and 1883,...

07 June 2013

1849 – Mayfield House, Portlaw, Co. Waterford

Architect: William Tinsley / John Skipton Mulvany Detached seven-bay three-storey over basement Italianate house incorporating fabric of earlier house constructed for the Malcomson family, whose cotton mills were nearby. Originally designed by William...

06 June 2013

1837 – Glena Cottage, Killarney, Co. Kerry

Cottage ornée originally built by Lady Kenmare for the use of friends and visitors to the Lakes. Queen Victoria had lunch here during her 1861 visit to Killarney. Destroyed by fire in 1922....