Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Munster

13 November 2009

1746 – Bishop’s Palace, Waterford

Architect: John Roberts Designed by local architect John Roberts, this is one of a cluster of his building in the immediate vicinity: City Hall and Christchurch Cathedral being adjacent. Built in a very...

11 November 2009

1751- John’s Square, Limerick

Architect: Francis Bindon Limerick was still a fortified city when John Pardon and Edmund Sexton started work on the building of New Square, now known as John’s Square. This development designed by Francis...

05 November 2011

1760s – Devon Castle, Newcastle West, Co. Limerick

The original Fitzgerald castle was granted to the Courtenay family in 1591. The Castle was occupied by David Mahony and his son Peirce Mahony in the mid 18th century. Bence Jones writes that...

21 March 2013

1761 – Statue of George II, South Mall, Cork

Architect: John Van Nost the Younger Equestrian statue of George II, erected 7 July and unveiled 16 Jul 1761. Originally was situated in the centre of Tuckey’s Bridge which connected Tuckey’s Quay, now...

11 November 2009

1769 – Hunt Museum (former Custom House), Limerick

Architect: Davis Ducart The Custom House was designed by Italian architect Daviso de Arcort better known as Davis Ducart. Davis Ducart was well known in Ireland for his work in smaller country houses....

23 March 2013

1770 – Greenmount, Co. Limerick

Built in 1770, a large two storey house over basement, home of the Green family. In the 1960s the house was demolished and a large modern house built by the Earl of Harrington.

23 May 2012

1770c – Attyflin House, Patrickswell, Co. Limerick

A two storey mid 18th century house with a five bay centrak block. The two 2-bay wings are early 19th century additions. A fine Gibbsian door surround graces the main front.

06 November 2009

1770c – No. 74 South Mall, Cork

Like many of the large former residences in the area, this fine house boasts an above ground basement. This basement was used for trade, as many of the owners of these houses were...

24 February 2012

1774 – Poor House, Limerick

Architect: Rev. Deane Hoare In 1773 the Limerick county and city Grand Juries came together with a budget of 500 pounds to build a poorhouse on land donated by the local Bishop. The...