Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Munster

22 May 2013

1781 – Ash Hill Towers, Kilmallock, Co. Limerick

Architect: Charles Anderson An earlier house of 1781 that was extended and castellated to designs possibly by Charles Anderson. Described in Lewis Topographical Dictionary as “a large castellated mansion now in progress of...

16 May 2013

1611 – Kilcornan Church, Co. Limerick

Illustration one of the series of sketches contributed by E. W. Godwin, F.S.A. and published in The Building News, December 25 1874. Godwin traveled around Ireland drawing antiquities for research before designing Dromore...

09 May 2013

1820s – Court House, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford

Architect: James Pain This fine limestone building was erected in the late 1820’s and was probably designed by James Pain. With its three round-headed windows to light the courtroom, and the small wings...

08 May 2013

1830c – Strancally Castle, Co. Waterford

Architect: George Pain Lewis in his Topographical Dictionary refers to Strancally Castle as “a modern castle, seat of J. Keily” in 1837. It stands in front of the original ruin of a Desmond...

09 April 2013

1865 – Model Schools, Anglesea Street, Cork

Architect: James H. Owen Italianate school with campanile, finished externally in red and black brick with Portland stone dressings. Used as a school until the early 1990s, and now in use as a...

09 April 2013

1799 – Court House, Lismore, Co. Waterford

Architect: John Carr The Sessions House, as it was first known, was built as part of the Lismore estate, by Lord Devonshire and can be attributed to the Architect John Carr. Like many...

04 April 2013

1819 – Templemore Abbey, Co. Tipperary

Architect: William Vitruvius Morrison Constructed on the site of an earlier house, Templemore Abbey was a vast neo-Gothic mansion designed by one of the masters of the genre in Ireland, William Vitruvius Morrison....

28 March 2013

1890 – William O’Brien Arcade, New Tipperary, Co. Tipperary

Architect: Robert P. Gill In 1888-9, tenants of the local landlord, Arthur Smith Barry, withheld their rents in solidarity with his tenants in Co Cork. They were evicted and, under the direction of...

26 March 2013

1839 – Former Bank, 1 Mallow Street, Limerick

Architect: James Pain Former branch of the Provincial Bank of Ireland, which later after a series of mergers became AIB. Fine stone facade of five bays with symmetrical treatment of the entrances to...