Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Tipperary

12 October 2012

1675 – Cloughjordan House, Co. Tipperary

A 17th century house built on to a pre-existing medieval tower house, and further extended in the 18th century, with extensive 19th century and later farm buildings. The grounds contain the remains of...

08 February 2011

1730 – Damer House, Roscrea, Co. Tipperary

Elegant three-storey Georgian house with nine bays built by Joseph Damer in the early 18th century in the courtyard of Roscrea Castle. Built in the Qunne Anne style, Damer House is an example...

19 October 2012

1732 – Former Archbishop’s Palace, Cashel, Co. Tipperary

Architect: Edward Lovett Pearce Originally the residence of the Church of Ireland archbishops, until they moved to Waterford. Designed by Edward Lovett Pearce for Archbishop Theophilus Bolton, this Palladian-style building is finished in...

13 April 2011

1784 – Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, Cashel

Architect: William Vitruvius Morrison The historic cathedral on the Rock of Cashel was closed for worship in 1721. Meanwhile the old parish church of St John was removed and the present Georgian cathedral...

19 October 2012

1790 – St. John the Baptist’s Church, Cashel, Co. Tipperary

Architect: John Roberts / Walter G. Doolin Designed by John Roberts the original structure of this church dates from the late-eighteenth century while the tympanum and other so-called embellishments were added by W.G...

12 March 2012

1791 – Design for Cashel Cathedral Steeple

Architect: Richard Morrison The lower part of the tower was completed as per this design, but the secondary level and the spire received a different treatment.

12 October 2012

17th C – Loughmore Castle, Co. Tipperary

A 14th century tower house to which a 17th century fortified house has been built on to creating a larger h-plan house. It was the seat of the Purcell family, who were Barons...

21 March 2012

1806 – Shanbally Castle, Clogheen, Co. Tipperary

Architect: John Nash Shanbally Castle was built for Cornelius O’Callaghan, the first Viscount Lismore and was the largest house built in Ireland by the noted English architect John Nash. Acquired by the Irish...

09 March 2013

1812 – Church of Ireland, Roscrea, Co. Tipperary

Architect: James Sheane This church is a fine example of early nineteenth-century church architecture in Ireland. Originally designed by James Sheane, whose name is inscribed on a datestone in the tower, the church...