Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Tipperary

12 November 2009

1857 – Clonmel Church of Ireland, Tipperary

Architect: Joseph Welland Somewhere under the Victorian additions is a medieval church – largely rebuilt by Joseph Welland in 1857, and later added to by his son in 1864. There is a fine...

18 October 2012

1860s – Ardfinnan Castle, Cahir, Co. Tipperary

Ardfinnan Castle was originally built circa 1186 to guard the river crossing on the River Suir, seven miles west of Clonmel. It was preserved as a military stronghold until the year 1649, when...

09 March 2012

1861 – St. Michael’s Church, Tipperary, Co. Tipperary

Architect: J.J. McCarthy Constructed between 1855 and 1861 to desuigns in “Early English” style by McCarthy. Later work by John Hardman on a particularly fine altar, which is still intact today, albeit minus...

14 October 2012

1863 – Convent of Mercy, Templemore, Co, Tipperary

Opened in 1863, with the chapel added later by George C. Ashlin.

03 July 2014

1865 – Church of the Immaculate Conception, Killenaule, Co. Tipperary

Architect: J.J. McCarthy Designed by leading Irish church architect J.J. McCarthy, the foundation stone was laid in 1859, with the church largely complete and used for mass by 1865. Not built as illustrated,...

27 February 2014

1867 – Shooting Lodge, Slievenamon, Co. Tipperary

Architect: Thomas Newenham Deane Shooting lodge and offices for Marquess of Ormonde. Estimated cost: £3,000. Published in The Irish Builder, December 15, 1867.

12 November 2009

1867 – St. Mary’s Church, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary

Architect:John B. Keane, John Bourke, G.C. Ashlin, George Goldie Designed by John B. Keane, St. Mary’s took over twenty years to complete and Keane died during construction. The church was then completed by...

09 February 2013

1869 – Church of St. Cronan, Roscrea, Co. Tipperary

Architect: William Deane Butler / John Sterling Butler Work on Roscrea’s fine Roman Catholic church took many years, with the foundation stone being laid in 1843. However the Famine stalled work, and it...

24 October 2011

1870 – Convent of Mercy, Tipperary, Co. Tipperary

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Church added by Ashlin to existing convent of around 1846.