Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Tipperary

12 November 2009

1875 – St. Peter’s and Pauls’ Church, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan, G.C. Ashlin Construction took so long that both the original architect, O’Callaghan working in anusual style for him, and the replacement, Ashlin, had died. A robust romanesque style, the interior...

17 September 2009

1876 – Tipperary Town Hall, Co. Tipperary

Architect: T.G. Jackson The only Irish work of Oxford-based architect Thomas Jackson, the former townhall is now refurbished as a local theatre after a period of neglect, and several fires. The interior was...

17 September 2009

1877 – Mooresfort Chapel, Co. Tipperary

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Unbuilt proposal for private chapel published in The Building News, December 7 1877.

12 November 2009

1879 – Cathedral of the Assumption, Thurles, Co. Tipperary

Architect: J.J. McCarthy The Cathedral of the Assumption is the fourth church to be built on this site. The first one recorded was a Carmelite church built in the early fourteenth century. After...

19 October 2011

1879 – St. Nicholas Church, Carrick-on-suir, Co. Tipperary

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Italian Romaneque style church by George C. Ashlin. A fine detached campanile alongside adds vertical emphasis. The interior is Ashlin’s interpretation of a roman basicilia. The church was began in...

18 October 2012

1881 – Town Hall, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary

The original town hall was built in the seventeenth century on the site of a private mansion called Hamerton Hall, owned by Richard Hamerton, a timber merchant. The building became an Inn in...

17 September 2009

1882 – Church of the Sacred Heart, Templemore, Co. Tipperary

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Designed in 1877, this fine Gothic revival church by George Ashlin is largely intact inside. As published in The Building News, October 4th 1878. pened for celebration of mass in...

12 July 2013

1887 – Rearcross Church, Co. Tipperary

The church was originally designed by a Swiss architect for a Wesleyan congregation as temporary structure in Northumbria and used by a mining community there. In 1887, the parish priest of Kilcomman in...

09 March 2009

1889 – Town Hall, Banba Sq., Nenagh, Co. Tipperary

Architect: Robert P. Gill Still extant, but now in use as Nenagh Arts Centre. Constructed as a 3-bay buiulding with fine round-headed doors and windows.