Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Waterford

09 May 2013

1820s – Court House, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford

Architect: James Pain This fine limestone building was erected in the late 1820’s and was probably designed by James Pain. With its three round-headed windows to light the courtroom, and the small wings...

08 May 2013

1830c – Strancally Castle, Co. Waterford

Architect: George Pain Lewis in his Topographical Dictionary refers to Strancally Castle as “a modern castle, seat of J. Keily” in 1837. It stands in front of the original ruin of a Desmond...

13 November 2009

1834 – Franciscan Friary Church, Waterford

Architect: Terence O’Reilly An imposing church in the Classical style, which dominates the streetscapes of both narrow lanes on to which it is sited. The soaring tower also serves to identify the church...

13 November 2009

1841 – Assembly House, Waterford

Architect: Thomas Jackson Fine classical building of five bays, originally designed as a bank, the central three projecting, with crisp Corinthian pilasters and a blank pediment above. The building is crisply detailed with...

13 November 2009

1845 – St. John’s Church, Waterford

Architect: John B. Keane A well designed and maintained Gothic Revival church, the exterior of the church has high quality local stone masonry, particularly to the carved stone detailing which retains its detail....

19 March 2013

1849 – Indian Gate, Dromana Estate, Villierstown, Co. Waterford

Architect: Martin Day The “Hindu-gothic” Indian gate designed by a local architect Martin Day. The design is a strange combination of Gothic and Oriental styles and is the only Irish example of the...

07 June 2013

1849 – Mayfield House, Portlaw, Co. Waterford

Architect: William Tinsley / John Skipton Mulvany Detached seven-bay three-storey over basement Italianate house incorporating fabric of earlier house constructed for the Malcomson family, whose cotton mills were nearby. Originally designed by William...

20 February 2014

1851 – Lismore Castle, Co. Waterford

Architect: William Atkinson / Joseph Paxton / A.W.N. Pugin / John Gregory Crace Originally built in 1185 by King John, Lismore Castle was owned in turn by Sir Walter Raleigh and Richard Boyle,...

13 November 2009

1854 – Clock, Waterford

Architect: Charles Tarrant Well detailed clocktower and public water fountain, with water troughs for horses, maintained in good order. Built by public subscription. Completed 1861 with a clock costing £78-10s donated by Corporation...