Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Waterford

01 January 2013

1859 – Turkish Baths, Hardy’s Rd., Waterford

Architect: Richard Barter

20 December 2012

1861 – Church of the Holy Cross, Tramore, Co. Waterford

Architect: J.J. McCarthy The interior of this fine gothic revival church has been completely vandalised by the movement interpreting the Vatican II guidelines. Instead of fine marble fittings, the interior has a rough...

13 November 2009

1862 – Catholic Church, Tramore, Co. Waterford

Architect: J.J. McCarthy Typical composition of the architect J.J. McCarthy with the offset tower. The church has none of the lightness of some of his other work – being quite foreboding and grim....

19 March 2013

1864 – North Station, Waterford, Co. Waterford

Waterford originally had two railway stations – the North Station, where the current station is today – and the South Station, near the old Waterford Stanley plant. The station opened on 26 August...

04 April 2011

1866 – Gurteen le Poer, Gurteen, Co. Waterford

Architect: Samuel Ussher Roberts Constructed for Edmond de la Poer, whose family has held land here from Norman times. Construction commencing in 1863, and was completed in 1866, to designs by Samuel Ussher...

13 November 2009

1867 – Ferrybank Catholic Church, Co. Waterford

Architect: Pugin & Ashlin / Ashlin & Coleman Built in two phases, this church was started by Pugin & Ashlin in 1867. They added a tower and spire to the front of a...

20 February 2014

1870 – St. John’s College, Waterford

Architect: George Goldie Constructed between 1868 and 1879, the diocesan college had a cloistered central court and chapel – a rather grim fortress of Catholic education. Closed as a seminary in 1999 due...

13 November 2009

1872 – Granary / Museum Of Treasures, Waterford

Old granary building converted into a local museum. A new annex has been constructed (1998) to act as entrance-way and reception for the building, which is a substantial structure of six floors and...

13 November 2009

1874 – St Saviour’s Dominican Church, Waterford

Architect: George Goldie A curious church, the classical facade marred by the asymmetrical placing of the belltower, the entire building feels disjointed. Designed by George Goldie of the well known London firm of...