Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Waterford

13 November 2009

1875 – Bank of Ireland, Waterford

Architect: Sandham Symes Imposing late 19th century bank building with living accommodation in the upperfloors. The interior boasts quite a tall banking hall. The bank retains important salient features and materials, and is...

13 November 2009

1875 – Former National Bank, Waterford

Architect: Brett & Sons Elaborate commercial premises designed in a Ruskinian Gothic as offices for the National Bank of Ireland. In good repair, the building has decorative polychromic brickwork above a granite ground...

13 November 2009

1876 – Post Office, Waterford

Architect: James Ryan or E.T. Owen Designed by the relatively unknown James Ryan, who may according to some historians have spent time in the Board of Public Works, or possibly by E.T. Owen...

14 May 2014

1878 – Warehouses, Merchants Quay, Waterford

Architect: Walter G. Doolin “We publish herewith an illustration of a new warehouse about to be erected for Messrs. Power and Co., Merchants-quay, Waterford. The ground storey will be of Bagnalstown granite, Portland...

20 February 2014

1882 – Design for Waterford City Markets

Architect: Walter G. Doolin As a result of an architectural competition held in 1880, Walter G. Doolin`s designs for a new markethall were adopted. The building was completed by 1882 at a cost...

31 August 2012

1884 – St. Carthage’s Church, Lismore, Co. Waterford

Architect: Walter G. Doolin St Cartage’s Parish Church was officially opened in 1884, and is regarded as one of the finest examples of Lombardo-Romanesque churches in Ireland. Red sandstone, quarried locally, and white...

13 November 2009

1885 – Former Greyfriar’s Church, Waterford

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew An appealing small-scale Gothic Revival Methodist Church, designed by Sir Thomas Drew. Although extensively re-modelled to the interior to accommodate its present use as an art gallery, the exterior...

11 June 2014

1885 – Holy Ghost Hospital, Waterford

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Founded in 1545, in the nineteenth century the hospital removed to the suburbs and in 1882 construction of the present hospital was started. A stone over the main entrance reads...

20 February 2012

1889 – Munster & Leinster Bank, Waterford

Architect: Arthur Hill Former branch of the Munster & Leinster Bank, later replaced by a building completed in 1925. The Munster & Leinster Bank was formed in 1886, and this was their first...