Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Waterford

09 January 2010

1890s – Waterford Castle, Co. Waterford

Architect: W.H. Romaine-Walker A small Norman keep that was extended and “restored” in the late 19th century. An initial restoration took place in 1849, but it was English architect W.H. Romaine-Walker who extended...

08 August 2013

1894 – De La Salle College, Waterford, Co. Waterford

Architect: W.H. Byrne The De La Salle Brothers arrived in the city in 1870 and opened a successful primary school at Patrick Street in Waterford city. In 1887, the search began for a...

19 March 2014

1906 – Suir Railway Bridge, Waterford, Co. Waterford

Architect: Sir Benjamin Baker Dismantled railway bridge crossing the Suir outside Waterford, between counties Waterford and Kilkenny. Built in 1906 on the Mallow/Waterford line with 9 spans, for a total 1205 ft in...

13 November 2009

1911 – Allied Irish Bank, Waterford

Architect: Batchelor & Hicks Fine early twentieth century bank building with a wonderful curving corner entranceway. Extended, 1922, comprising single-bay three-storey end bay to east taking away the symmetry of the design. This...

13 November 2009

1922 – Hibernian Insurance (Former Bank), Waterford

In the early twentieth century, most Irish towns had several banks. Over the years, a series of mergers resulted in the group AIB being created, and duplicate branches closed. This is one such...

13 November 2009

1925 – Former Munster & Leinster Bank, Waterford

Architect: McDonnell & Dixon One of the finer bank branches in Waterford and now sadly no longer used as such. A series of bank mergers in the mid to late twentieth century meant...

15 March 2010

1948 – The Hydro, Tramore, Co Waterford

Architect: Patrick Sheahan Opened in 1948 ‘The Hydro’’ had a staff of seven and housed a number of sea baths as well as a restaurant. Demolished.

13 November 2009

2000 – Bus Station, Waterford

Architect: Iarnród Éireann Architects Modern bus station sited on the Waterford quayside. With infrastructure being improved across Ireland in the early twentyfirst century, new bus and train stations have appeared. This is one...

18 February 2011

2006 – Garter Lane Theatre, Waterford

Architect: Diamond and Schmitt Architects The restoration of Garter Lane Theatre in Waterford, Ireland (2006) preserved the historic eighteenth century Quaker meetinghouse setting of this 200-seat auditorium. Diamond and Schmitt refurbished the dressing...