Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr
Architecture of Belfast

Architecture of Belfast

15 March 2012

1769 – Exchange and Assembly Rooms, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Sir Robert Taylor In 1769, the Earl of Donegall, celebrating the birth of his son George Augustus, paid £4,000 for the building of a single storey building called “The Exchange” By1776 a...

15 March 2012

1774 – Clifton House, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Robert Mylne / Robert Joy Built in 1774 by Belfast Charitable Society, the building was used until the late 1880’s as Belfast’s Poor House. Although the Dublin architect Thomas Cooley was consulted...

25 July 2013

1776 – St Anne’s Church, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Francis Hiorne Commisioned by by Arthur, 5th Earl of Donegall, and named after his wife, St Anne’s was designed by English architect Francis Hiorne of Warwick. Constructed on the site of the...

06 January 2012

1785 – White Linen Hall, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Roger Mulholland Large building with enclosed square for the selling of what was then Belfast’s most important product. Three relatively unadorned facades, with a central tower dominating the primary frontage. Demolished in...

07 January 2012

1790 – Meeting-House, Rosemary Street, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Dr. Drummond’s Meeting-House, Second Congregation, Rosemary Street, was built 1790, nad demolished 1964. It is believed that architect Francis Hiorne who designed St. Anne’s Church was consulted on the design. It is unclear...

23 March 2012

1823 – Ormeau House, Co. Down

Architect: William Vitruvius Morrison A long rambling Tudor mansion designed for the 2nd Marquess of Donegall on the then outskirts of Belfast, who was in exile from his creditors in England. Originally a...

22 October 2013

1840 – Glasshouse, Botanic Gardens, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Charles Lanyon As originally built, it was to the designs of Charles Lanyon in 1840. Turner & Walker were the contractors for first stage. The central dome, built by Young of Edinburgh...

27 January 2014

1840 – The Victoria Hall, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Peter Lundy Constructed as the Victoria Music Hall, later becoming a Gospel after changes by William Fennell including the addition of a gallery and organ. Presumedly at this time, the lettering “Victoria...

03 June 2014

1843 – Queens Bridge, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: John Fraser, Charles Lanyon, & J.C. Bretland Originally designed by John Frazer with Charles Lanyon between 1841 and 1843 replacing an old 21-arch bridge. In the mid 1880s it was widended by...

Pages:1234567...15Next »