Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Belfast

09 January 2012

1868 – Old Library, Queen’s University Belfast

Architect: Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon Illustration showing the interior of the Old Library as originally designed by W.H. Lynn. The building was described by the English poet Philip Larkin (who was sub-librarian at...

08 May 2013

1868 – St Mary’s Church of Ireland, Crumlin Rd., Belfast

Architect: Slater & Carpenter St Mary’s Church of Ireland was completed in 1868 to a design by the London architect William Slater. Estimated cost £2,400 but eventual cost £6,500. The church was badly...

24 September 2009

1869 – Former First Trust Bank, Royal Avenue, Belfast

Architect: William Barre Originally a bank and now a Tesco convenience store, the building was completed by Turner and Williamson after the death of Barre. The building has an impressive seven bay façade...

24 September 2009

1869 – Former Richardsons Store, Belfast

Architect: W.H. Lynn Built in 1867-69, this fine warehouse once had a fine dormered roofline and tall chimneys. These are alas, a memory as is the former interior which was destroyed in the...

24 September 2009

1870 – Albert Memorial Clock, Belfast

Architect: William Barre Constructed of sandstone as a memorial to Queen Victoria’s late Prince Consort, Prince Albert, the Albert Memorial Clock stands 113 feet tall. A statue of the Prince in robes of...

24 September 2009

1870 – Belfast Castle, Co. Antrim

Architect: Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon The Chichesters (later the Donegalls) lived in England as absentee landlords but came to live at Ormeau at the beginning of the nineteenth century. After re-marrying in 1862,...

14 October 2009

1870 – Belfast Town Hall, Co. Antrim

Architect: Anthony Thomas Jackson From The Builder, April 9, 1870: The works for the new municipal buildings Belfast Ireland are being energetically forward; the courts will probably be finished May and the whole...

26 March 2014

1870 – Craigavon House, Sydenham, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Thomas Jackson & Sons Small country house on what was then outside of Belfast for James Craig, father of the future Lord Craigavon. The family were wealthy, their money coming from the...

25 July 2013

1870 – St. Enoch’s Presbyterian Church, Carlisle Circus, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Anthony Thomas Jackson Erected in the early 1870s, it was one of the largest Presbyterian churches in all of Ulster. St Enoch’s had a magnificent theatre-like interior with two tiers of galleries...