Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Belfast

12 August 2014

1870 – Ulster Bank Buildings, Waring St., Belfast

Architect: Thomas Jackson & Sons Now part of the Merchant Hotel along with the former Ulster Bank headquarters next to it. “These new buildings are being erected for the Ulster Banking Company, in...

12 June 2014

1870 – Working Men’s Institute, Queen Street, Belfast

Architect: Anthony Thomas Jackson Constructed at the junction of Queen and Mill Streets, demolished in 1915. The arcaded shops were the home of Lennon’s Catholic Repository. The building contained a library and a...

11 September 2013

1871 – Carved Stone Pilasters, Belfast

Designs for carved stone pilasters, Baelfast, as published in The Builder, February 18 1871.

12 May 2014

1871 – Nos. 24 & 26 Donegall Place, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Thomas Jackson & Sons “In no locality within the northern capital are architectural improvements more markedly observable than in Donegall Place. To this already fine business premises in this grand throughfare there...

09 January 2012

1872 – Elmwood Hall, Queen’s University Belfast

Architect: John Corry Designed by amateur architect John Corry, Elmwood Hall, a former Presbyterian Church, is the concert hall for Queen’s University. Originally designed in 1859, it was not completed until the construction...

03 February 2014

1873 – Belgravia Hotel, Nos 2-12 Ulsterville Ave., Belfast

Architect: John Boyd The Belgravia Hotel was a collection of Victorian Villas on Ulsterville Ave, with fine polychromic brickwork, decorative ironwork and dormers. The terrace was designed by John Boyd in 1873. In...

25 January 2014

1874 – J. Robb & Co Department Store, Castle St., Belfast

Architect: William Hastings John Robb & Co was a Belfast department store that had extended many times in the late 19th century. Originally it was at No 15 in 1861, expanding to No...

21 March 2014

1874 – Warehouses, Nos.1-3 Donegall Square South, Belfast

Architect: John Lanyon Large warehouse of red sandstone on the corner of Adelaide Street and Donegall Square for Preston Smyth & Co., and John Preston & Co. Demolished to make way for a...

14 May 2014

1875 – St. Mary’s Hall, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Alexander Macalister The design was chosen as a result of an architectural competition. St Mary’s Catholic Hall was used for concerts and dances, and also included a primary school until 1901. It...