Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Belfast

03 May 2010

1887 – McArthur Hall, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: T.N. Deane & Son Built as boarding hall for Methodist College, Belfast. Published in The Building News, October 7th 1887. Ceased to be used as boarding facilities in 2010 and converted to...

16 April 2010

1887 – Northern Bank, Royal Avenue, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: John Lanyon No longer a bank, this fine building was constructed in Dungannon Sandstone with polished granite details including columns. As well as the usual accommodation for the bank branch manager, the...

12 June 2014

1887 – Presbyterian Church, Windsor, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Young & Mackenzie A fine Victorian Gothic church on a elevated site, that is still in use today by its congregation. A later school was erected in the 1880s and connected to...

24 September 2009

1888 – Belfast Central Library

Architect: W.H. Lynn Designed by W.H. Lynn after an architectural competition held in 1882, the building was completed in 1888. A monumental red sandstone building, the Library has a fine central domed reading...

21 June 2010

1891 – Semi Detatched Houses, Adelaide Park, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: F. Edward Ward A pair of houses designed for his father and another relative described as being in the ‘English Domestic Revival’ style. Perspective with longitudinal section, ground & 1st floor plans...

27 January 2014

1892 – Former Grand Central Hotel, Royal Avenue, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Samuel Stevenson The Grand Central Hotel stood at 12-26 Royal Avenue, Belfast. It was one of the last buildings to be built in the original Royal Avenue development, about 1892. It was...

30 January 2014

1892 – Queen’s Quay Railway Station, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Originally opened by the Belfast & County Down Railway in 1848, the station at Queen’s Quay was rebuilt in 1910-14, extending the original building on both sides. The Belfast Holywood & Bangor Railway...

24 September 2009

1895 – Grand Opera House, Belfast

Architect: Frank Matcham Built between 1894-5 and damaged by bombs during the troubles and then restored, the Grand Opera House is a Belfast landmark with its ebullient and eclectic exterior. The exterior features...

13 June 2014

1896 – All Souls Church, Elmwood Avenue, Belfast

Architect: George W. Planck Second Presbyterian Congregation founded in 1708, with the York Street Congregation founded in 1840. Present building largely completed in 1896. Design chosen after an architectural competition in 1895 –...