Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Antrim

06 January 2012

1785 – White Linen Hall, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Roger Mulholland Large building with enclosed square for the selling of what was then Belfast’s most important product. Three relatively unadorned facades, with a central tower dominating the primary frontage. Demolished in...

19 February 2014

1789 – Templetown Mausoleum, Castle Upton, Co. Antrim

Architect: Robert Adam The mausoleum was built in 1789 for the Rt. Hon. Arthur Upton and is situated in the grounds of Castle Upton. One of Robert Adam’s few works in Ireland, it...

07 January 2012

1790 – Meeting-House, Rosemary Street, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Dr. Drummond’s Meeting-House, Second Congregation, Rosemary Street, was built 1790, nad demolished 1964. It is believed that architect Francis Hiorne who designed St. Anne’s Church was consulted on the design. It is unclear...

15 October 2012

1807 – Kilwaughter Castle, Co. Antrim

Architect: John Nash The present building incorporates a Scottish style plantation house of ca 1622, built by Patrick Agnew. Between 1803-07 the present Georgian castle was built for Edward Jones Agnew by John...

23 March 2012

1823 – Ormeau House, Co. Down

Architect: William Vitruvius Morrison A long rambling Tudor mansion designed for the 2nd Marquess of Donegall on the then outskirts of Belfast, who was in exile from his creditors in England. Originally a...

10 November 2012

1837 – Castle Upton, Templepatrick, Co. Antrim

Architect: Edward Blore Blore was reponsible for alterations and enlarging of House for 1st Lord Templetown in 1836-37. There is a fine mausoleum by Robert Adam in the graveyard from 1789. in the...

01 December 2013

1838 – Ballydrain, Dunmurray, Co. Antrim

Architect: Edward Blore / W.H. Lynn The original house was designed by Blore in a Tudor Revival style. In October 1836 he visited the estate “to examine the House and advise with Mr....

22 October 2013

1840 – Glasshouse, Botanic Gardens, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Charles Lanyon As originally built, it was to the designs of Charles Lanyon in 1840. Turner & Walker were the contractors for first stage. The central dome, built by Young of Edinburgh...

27 January 2014

1840 – The Victoria Hall, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Peter Lundy Constructed as the Victoria Music Hall, later becoming a Gospel after changes by William Fennell including the addition of a gallery and organ. Presumedly at this time, the lettering “Victoria...