Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Antrim

29 March 2012

1849 – Royal Triumphal Archway, High St., Belfast

Architect: Thirty-two foot tall triumphal archway constructed for the visit of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert to Belfast in 1849. Supposedly the words Cead Mile Failte were inscribed on the reverse side to...

09 January 2012

1850 – County Court House, Crumlin Rd, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Charles Lanyon Final design proposal for County Court House by Charles Lanyon. The building was largely completed as illustrated but since extended by Young and Mackenzie in 1905. This wasn’t the original...

26 October 2012

1852 – Garron Tower, Co. Antrim

Architect: Lewis Vulliamy Designed by Lewis Vulliamy, an English architect. for the Marchioness of Londonderry on a spectacular elevated site. Described as “grimly rectangular”, the castle has little of the finesse or romanticism...

13 December 2011

1853 – Design for Presbyterian College, Belfast

Architect: Charles Lanyon Now known as Union Theological College, it the theological college for the Presbyterian Church in Ireland. As completed the building has some differences from the design illustrated, noticeably the first...

03 January 2013

1854 – Harbour Commissioners’ Office, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: George Smith / W.H. Lynn Originally the central bays were constructed as a free standing Italiante palazzo to designs by George Smith, the architect to the Harbour Commissioners/ Later extended in 1895...

09 August 2013

1859 – Adam Clarke Memorial Obelisk, Portrush, Co. Antrim

Architect: William Barre A45 foot tall obelisk to a leading member of early Methodism, Adam Clarke whio was born in County Derry. John Wesley invited him to become a pupil at a seminary...

24 September 2009

1860 – Donegall Street Congregational Church, Belfast

Architect: William Raffles Brown The original church on this site was completed in 1860, with additions in 1871 on either side by Luke Macassey. There were extensive renovations in 1898 before it was...

09 July 2013

1860 – Former Ulster Bank Headquarters, Waring St., Belfast

Architect: James Hamilton Constructed as the headquarters of the Ulster Bank, and now a luxury hotel. Hamilton won the commission after an architectural competition in 1857 that attracted over 50 competitors from across...

18 August 2014

1862 – Ulster Hall, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: William Barre Opened in 1862, by the Ulster Hall Company, the hall’s purpose was to provide the expanding city of Belfast with a multi-purpose venue of sufficient size. On its opening night...