Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Armagh

28 September 2009

1834 – 1-5 St. Mark’s Place, The Mall, Armagh, Co. Armagh

A good collection of terraced houses along the Mall. Though not of the quality of Beresford Terrace or Charlemont Place, these are good quality houses. The end house also has substantial outbuildings and...

28 September 2009

1834 – County Museum, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: William Murray Now housing the County Museum, this small pedimented building with twin entrances on either side was originally built as a small meeting house. Cleanly detailed with tall thin roundheaded windows.

28 September 2009

1837 – Scotch Church, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: William Murray A simple church with a plain and shallow Palladian fa├žade with a central doorway. The interior features a curving carved balcony. Fine ironwork gates and piers.

29 September 2012

1837 – Tandragee Castle, Tanderagee, Co. Armagh

Country houses become hotels and guest houses, this one became a crisp factory. Built around 1837 for the 6th Duke of Manchester as the family’s Irish home.The castle has a strong tower at...

28 September 2009

1838 – Savings Bank, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: William Murray Fine classical Savings Bank building on a prominant site close to the Mall. Well proportioned and in good condition, it is now for sale following some bank mergers and branch...

01 December 2011

1840 – Design for St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Armagh

Architect: Thomas Duff St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Armagh, as designed by Thomas J. Duff of Newry, c. 1840. Published in John Gallogly: The History of St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Armagh, M. H. Gill & Son,...

25 May 2011

1851 – MacNeill’s Egyptian Arch, Newry, Co. Armagh

Architect: Sir John MacNeill Construction was completed in 1851 for the Dublin and Belfast Junction Railway Company and was the result of collaboration between engineer Sir John MacNeill and constructor William Dargan. Locally...

25 May 2011

1852 – Craigmore Viaduct, Bessbrook, Co. Armagh

Architect: Sir John MacNeill Known locally as the 18 Arches, the bridge was designed by John Benjamin MacNeill, an eminent Irish civil engineer, with construction beginning in 1849 for the Dublin and Belfast...

03 February 2011

1856 – Gosford Castle, Co. Armagh

Architect: Thomas Hopper Construction of the castle began in 1819 and finished in the 1850s. It was commissioned by Archibald Acheson, 2nd Earl of Gosford and the architect was Thomas Hopper, one of...