Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Armagh

28 September 2009

1860 – St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Armagh

Architects: Thomas Duff / J.J. McCarthy / G.C. Ashlin / Liam McCormack The second of the cathedrals of Armagh, the Roman Catholic Cathedral is sited on a hill to compete with the older...

13 June 2014

1860s – Kircassock House, Magheralin, Co. Armagh

During the 1860s, the house was own by Jonathan Richardson MP, who had Alfred Waterhouse design some alterations, after which the house had assumed the form illustrated. During the Second World War the...

15 November 2011

1862 – Railway Station, Portadown, Co. Armagh

Architect: John MacNeill John MacNeill’s masterpiece, a long polychromuc brick station with the stately air of a great house. Demolished and replaced in the 1960s, the site is still derelict, the great piers...

22 April 2014

1866 – Church of Ireland, Jonesborough, Co. Armagh

Architect: Lanyon, Lynn, & Lanyon Constructed to replace a church originally built in 1732 and re-built in 1772. The Lanyon, Lynn & Lanyon building opened for worship in September 1866. Due to the...

28 September 2009

1867 – Tourist Information Office, Armagh

Architect: Sir Charles Lanyon Formerly a branch of the Belfast Banking Company and thereafter the Northern Bank, the Tourist Information Office was designed by Sir Charles Lanyon in 1867. A deceptively large building,...

28 September 2009

1884 – Former Masonic Hall, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: J.H. Fullerton An eccentric polychromatic building built as a Masonic Hall and now used as a Plymouth Brethren Meeting House. The building features a wedge-shaped belfry, turreted staircase, rooftop fleche – many...

28 September 2009

1890s – Former Bank, Russell St., Armagh, Co Armagh

Former Hibernian Bank building typical of many built in Irish towns in the 19th century with a ground floor banking hall with accommodation for the branch manager and his family above. Austere plain...

28 September 2009

1896 – First Trust Bank, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: Watt & Tulloch In comparison to earlier bank buildings, this First Trust branch (AIB in the Republic of Ireland) is relatively modest

02 April 2014

1897 – Railway Station, Lurgan, Co. Armagh

Architect: William H. Mills Originally opened in 1845 for the Ulster Railway Company, but rebuilt in the Great Northern Railway house-style in the late 1890s. William H. Mills was the Chief engineer of...