Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Cavan

28 September 2009

1836 – Presbyterian Church, Cavan, Co. Cavan

Fine little building with decorative pinnacles and crisp detailing. The battlemented porch with twin-light window is an especially attractive feature.

01 October 2014

1839 – St. Anne’s Church, Bailieborough, Co. Cavan

St. Anne’s Roman Catholic Church was erected in 1839 and replaced an older Church near to this site which was described as a long thatched Chapel, which was built during the late 1700s....

12 October 2012

1840 – Castle Saunderson, Belturbet, Co. Cavan

Castle Saunderson is a large castellated mansion in a Tudor-Revival style. The majority of the structure dates from 1840, architect unknown, but it was added onto an earlier house creating an unusual appearance...

01 October 2014

1847 – Model House, Bailieborough, Co. Cavan

Architect: Frederick Darley Erected as an Agricultural Training School with suitable offices and a 48 acre farm attached. Intended as a training school where eight pupils boarded and were taught both the theory...

01 October 2014

1850 – Model Schools, Bailieborough, Co. Cavan

Architect: Frederick Darley The Model Schools were erected between 1848 and 1850, the costs of which was funded by Sir John Young, later Lord Lisgar. Divided into separate boys and girls schools with...

09 March 2013

1858 – AIB, Cootehill, Co. Cavan

Architect: William G. Murray Built as a branch of the Provincial Bank of Ireland, and now a branch for AIB. In traditional Irish manner, contains a residence for the branch manager. Photograph courtesy,...

28 September 2009

1859 – Former Methodist Church, Cavan, Co. Cavan

Architect: William Hague Former church with truncated spire over the doorway. A simple exercise in Gothic revival.

17 September 2009

1860 – St. Feithlim’s, Kilmore Cathedral, Co. Cavan

Architect: William Slater Work on the present cathedral began in 1858, and it was designed by the English architect William Slater. The porch was added to the Cathedral in 1869, from William Slater’s...

30 September 2014

1860s – The Castle, Bailieborough, Co. Cavan

Victorian house, the home of the 1st and indeed last Lord Lisgar, who was Governor of New South Wales, and later Governor-General of Canada. Also known as Lisgar House or Bailieborough Castle. In...