Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Monaghan

19 March 2012

1703 – Gola House, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Unusual house, similar to another in the county at Anketell. An unpopular family, the owners of Gola had been planted by King William in the 1660s. During the troubles of 1922, the...

29 September 2009

1760 – Aviemore House, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Aviemore House is the most imposing residence in Monaghan both from its imposing facade to its positioning on Hill Street. The building is placed on the end of the climb of Mill...

29 September 2009

1763 – Church of Ireland, Glaslough, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Joseph Welland Simple Church of Ireland by the Board of First Fruits with a tall slender tower and long nave. The tower is all that remains of the 1670 church erected by...

30 October 2012

1770 – Lady Anne Temple, Dartrey, Co. Monaghan

Architect: James Wyatt Mausoleum to Lady Anne Dawson for Thomas Dawson, lst Viscount Cremorne. After sitting derelict and roofless for many years, a restoration project is underway with the addition of a new...

18 February 2014

1780s – Camla Vale, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

After World War II, when nearby Rossmore Castle developed a severe case of dry rot, the 6th Lord Rossmore and his family were forced to leave the castle and take up residence in...

29 September 2009

1781 – Anketell’s Grove, Emyvale, Co. Monaghan

The third Anketell’s Grove (the other two being replaced by each subsequent house on different sites) was originally built in 1781. A five bayed house with curved sweeps to two small wings, the...

29 September 2009

1789 – St. Finbarr’s Church of Ireland, Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan

Fine eighteenth century church in a dominant elevated position at the end of the main street of the town. There was an uexecuted proposal by English architects Slater & Carpenter for the addition...

29 September 2009

1790 – Former St. Luke’s Church of Ireland, Killeevan, Co. Monaghan

Set in an old graveyard, now only the tower remains of this former Church of Ireland. The stepped tower has a simple Georgian doorway surmounted by a plaque with a Latin inscription. A...

29 September 2009

1792 – Market House, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Colonel William Hayes The Market House was designed by Colonel William Hayes of Avondale, County Wicklow and stands in the middle of Market Square. The building is of five bays in length...