Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Monaghan

27 August 2013

1844 – Design for Market House, Clones, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Deane Butler Design for Market House for Clones. Largely built as illustrated minus the small tower over the main facade. In use for many years as a library with its ground...

29 September 2009

1844 – Former Library, Clones, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Deane Butler A fine symmetrical building by William Deane Butler. It was originally built as a market house and the ground floor is arcaded, although the openings have now been filled...

29 September 2009

1845 – Corrigan’s or Emy Mill, Co. Monaghan

Corrigan’s or Emy Mill is located about a half mile to the south of Mullan. This impressive ten storey mill was probably built as a spinning mill originally. This building subscribes to Mc...

29 September 2009

1846 – Dartrey, Rockcorry, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Burn Also known as Dawson Grove, Dartrey was built in 1846 and designed by William Burn as a large Elizabethan Revivial mansion to replace an earlier house on the site. Built...

29 September 2009

1847 – Widow’s Almshouses, Rockcorry, Co. Monaghan

A fine stone Georgian terrace of four houses with brick surrounds to the windows and doors. Constructed as almshouses for “destitute widows” by Joseph Griffiths.

27 February 2012

1848 – Market House, Ballybay, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Walker The development of Ballybay town during the 18th century coincided with the purchase of the Ballybay Estate by Henry Leslie in 1712. Whilst the Leslie’s were largely absentee landlords, the...

29 September 2009

1848 – St Macartan’s College, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Thomas Duff St Macartan’s College designed by Thomas Duff is a large building of 17 bays in a restrained classical style and was built as the Diocesan college for Clogher. The centre...

29 September 2009

1850 – Former Garda Station, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: E.T. Owen / Board of Public Works Like many buildings around the country from the time of the British administration, the former Police Station in Monaghan has an urban legend connected. The...

30 November 2009

1850 – New Stables, Dartrey, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Burn The Dartrey New Stables are a purpose built stable block with enclosed cobble yard from the early nineteenth century to designs of William Burn who designed the now demolished Dartrey...