Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

12 March 2011

1650 – Hillsborough Fort, Hillsborough, Co. Down

Artillery fort built in 1650 by Colonel Arthur Hill – the Hill family built the village of Hillsborough starting with the fort. Remodelled in the 18th Century for feasts and entertainment.

27 May 2012

1680 – Springhill House, Moneymore, Co. Derry

This 17th century unfortified houses, owned by the National Trust was built about 1680 and was originally surrounded by a defensive bawn. Around 1765 two single-storey wings were added and the entrance front...

28 March 2013

1692 – Carrickblacker House, Portadown, Co. Armagh

The Blacker family, founded an estate at Carrick, on the Portadown–Gilford road. The land had been bought by Colonel Valentine Blacker from Sir Anthony Cope of Loughgall, and became known as Carrickblacker. Their...

03 January 2013

1692 – Exchange, Derry, Co. Derry

Architect: Captain Francis Neville Built to replace the Exchange of 1622, which was largely destroyed during the Siege of Derry. According to the Ordnance survey of the county of Londonderry (1837): “The Town...

19 March 2012

1703 – Gola House, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Unusual house, similar to another in the county at Anketell. An unpopular family, the owners of Gola had been planted by King William in the 1660s. During the troubles of 1922, the...

02 June 2014

1710s – Knox-Hannyngton House, Dungannon, Co Tyrone

The site contained a castle from the early 15th century, which was the headquarters of the O’Neills until the Flight of the Earls in 1607. The land was seized and granted to Sit...

25 September 2009

1724 – Vicar’s Hill, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Built by Archbishop Boulter in 1724 as accomodation for clegy widows, this intact terrace facing the west front of the Church of Ireland Cathedral has fine Gibbsian door surrounds.

17 October 2010

1730 – Bellamont Forest, Cootehill, Co. Cavan

Architect: Sir Edward Lovett Pearce Built between 1725 and 1730 for Thomas Coote, once Lord Justice of Ireland, and designed by Coote’s gifted nephew, architect Sir Edward Lovett Pearce. Bellamont Forest is one...

15 October 2010

1730 – Castle Dobbs, Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim

Castle Dobbs was built in 1730 by Arthur Dobbs, Surveyor-General of Ireland; and Governor of North Carolina. As Surveyor-General, Arthur Dobbs supervised the construction of the Irish Parliament House in Dublin. While a...