Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

28 September 2009

1733 – Ballyhaise Agriculture College, Co. Cavan

Architect: Richard Cassels Ballyhaise House was built for the Newburghs, a local landowning family, in the 1730s. Richard Cassels (1690-1751) was of German origin and also known as Richard Castle. He settled in...

14 September 2012

1736 – Gill Hall, Dromore, Co. Down

Architect: Richard Cassels The Gill Hall estate was named after a Captain Magill an officer in Cromwell’s Army, prior to the 1641 rebellion he is said to have obtained half the townland of...

21 April 2014

1737 – Royal & Prior School, Raphoe, Co. Donegal

In 1608, King Charles I granted a charter which founded the Royal Schools across Ulster. By 1618, As part of this charter, a Royal School was established in Donegal town, which relocated to...

07 April 2011

1756 – Glenarm Castle, Co. Antrim

Architect: Christopher Myers / William Vitruvius Morrison There has been a castle at Glenarm since the 13th century, and it is at the heart of one of Northern Ireland’s oldest estates. The present...

29 September 2009

1760 – Aviemore House, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Aviemore House is the most imposing residence in Monaghan both from its imposing facade to its positioning on Hill Street. The building is placed on the end of the climb of Mill...

29 September 2009

1763 – Church of Ireland, Glaslough, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Joseph Welland Simple Church of Ireland by the Board of First Fruits with a tall slender tower and long nave. The tower is all that remains of the 1670 church erected by...

25 September 2009

1764 – Florence Court, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh

Florence Court is romantically named after the wife of Sir John Cole who first built a house on the spectacular site in the early 18th century. The present Palladian style house was probably...

24 September 2009

1765 – Broughshane Church of Ireland, Co. Antrim

Architect: Welland & Gillespie Pretty little Church with decorative gateway to the street. Broughshane is known as the Garden Village of Ulster. In 1994 the village was the winner of Ulster in Bloom,...

13 December 2012

1765c – Stuart Hall, Cookstown, Co. Tyrone

Stuart Hall was built in the 1760s for Baron Stuart, later Viscount Castle Stuart. It was originally a three-storey Georgian house, joined to an old tower-house by a 19th century Gothic wing. More...