Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

13 December 2012

1765c – Stuart Hall, Cookstown, Co. Tyrone

Stuart Hall was built in the 1760s for Baron Stuart, later Viscount Castle Stuart. It was originally a three-storey Georgian house, joined to an old tower-house by a 19th century Gothic wing. More...

15 March 2012

1769 – Exchange and Assembly Rooms, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Sir Robert Taylor In 1769, the Earl of Donegall, celebrating the birth of his son George Augustus, paid £4,000 for the building of a single storey building called “The Exchange” By1776 a...

28 May 2013

1770 – Archbishop’s Palace, Armagh

Architect: Thomas Cooley / Francis Johnston Constructed as a large two-storey house, 7 bays wide by 4 bays deep, to designs by Thomas Cooley for Archbishop Richard Robinson. An additional floor was later...

30 October 2012

1770 – Lady Anne Temple, Dartrey, Co. Monaghan

Architect: James Wyatt Mausoleum to Lady Anne Dawson for Thomas Dawson, lst Viscount Cremorne. After sitting derelict and roofless for many years, a restoration project is underway with the addition of a new...

28 September 2009

1771 – Public Library, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: Thomas Cooley Fabulous Library building on an awkward sloping corner site by Thomas Cooley, the architect of Dublin’s City Hall which was started just two years earlier. Like City Hall, the library...

16 September 2012

1773 – Castle Archdale, Co. Fermanagh

The house was built by Colonel Mervyn Archdale in 1773 on the shores of Lower Lough Erne, to replace a Plantation castle of 1615. It had three storeys over a basement; a six...

15 March 2012

1774 – Clifton House, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Robert Mylne / Robert Joy Built in 1774 by Belfast Charitable Society, the building was used until the late 1880’s as Belfast’s Poor House. Although the Dublin architect Thomas Cooley was consulted...

28 September 2009

1774 – Former Hospital, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: George Ensor Built as the city hospital in 1774, and now an outreach campus for Queens University Belfast. Deceptively small, the ground falls away behind the main façade to allow for more...

25 September 2009

1776 – Derrymore House, Bessbrook, Co. Armagh

Architect: John Sutherland A late 18th century thatched house in a gentrified style, Derrymore House is owned by the National Trust and open to the public. John Sutherland was responsible for laying out...