Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

09 January 2014

1898 – Shankill Road Mission, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: William Roome Large amphitheatre to seat about 2,000, medical mission , soup kitchen, with four shops fronting road. Closed in 2009, the mission originally started in a large tent in 1869 and...

25 September 2009

1898 – Slieve Donard Hotel, Newcastle, Co. Down

Architect: James J. Farrall, Young & Mackenzie The result of an architectural competition held by the Belfast & Co. Down Railway Co. in 1895, and adjudicated by Alfred Waterhouse. The competition was won...

24 September 2009

1898 – The Crown Liquor Saloon, Belfast

Architects: E. & J. Byrne The Crown Liquor Saloon in Great Victoria Street, Belfast is one of Victorian gin palaces which once flourished in the industrial cities of Britain. Today wonderfully preserved and...

12 February 2014

1898 – Uncompleted Design for St. Ann’s Cathedral, Belfast

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew Design for St. Ann’s Church of Ireland Cathedral in Belfast by Sir Thomas Drew. Drew’s second scheme, the first being Gothic. This forms the basis of the current cathedral...

07 April 2014

1899 – Homes of Rest, Bangor, Co. Down

Architect: William Roome “THE building known as “The Rest for Girls” at Bangor has proved such a success that the committee decided upon erecting two similar homes, one for men and lads, and...

07 April 2014

1899 – Presbyterian Church, Cushendall, Co. Antrim

Architect: William J. Fennell From The Building News: “A new Presbyterian church was recently opened at Cushendall, Co. Antrim. It is constructed of stone, and is Early English in style. Mr. William J....

31 October 2012

1899 – Royal Ulster Yacht Club, Bangor, Co. Down

Architect: Vincent Craig Fine club building overlooking the bay. The Club building is listed by the Department of Environment as a building of historic interest.

03 April 2013

1899 – Victoria Home, Rostrevor, Co. Down

Architect: William J. Watson Built in the mid-1890s for the Girls Friendly Society of Ireland, who asked for and received Royal permission to call it the Queen Victoria Home in 1901. Originally known...

28 September 2009

18th C – Bank of Ireland, Upper English St., Armagh, Co. Armagh

A recently refurbished house typical of many built in this area of the city centre by successive Archbishops improving the city. Originally a townhouse, and later a hotel, this has been converted to...