Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

13 January 2011

1907 – Hamilton Tower, Queen’s University Belfast

Architect: Robert Cochrane Constructed as the porter’s gatelodge for university and designed in the Tudor-Revival style. A single-storey lodge was beside the tower with an octagonal, battlemented turret to the rear. Demolished in...

30 September 2009

1907 – Post Office, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Robert Cochrane Twentieth century post office with attractively curved windows to the public office. Fairly standard brick with stone trimmings treatment commonly used on post office buildings of this period in Ireland.

09 July 2013

1907 – Royal Hippodrome Theatre, Belfast

Architect: Bertie Crewe The Royal Hippodrome Theatre was constructed beside the Grand Opera House in 1908-07. Later renovated in the 1960s as a Odeon cinema, it lost much of its original architectural detail....

17 September 2009

1907 – Warehouse, Library Street, Belfast

Architect: William J. Fennell Built as Library House for Robert Watson & Co, a firm of cabinet makers and upholsterers. The building has a dramatic round turret, largely glazed at ground and first...

09 August 2013

1908 – Former Post Office, Portrush, Co. Antrim

Architect: Robert Cochrane Former Post Office, constructed around 1908. Closed in the 1980s, it lay vacant for many years before being restored and converted to the public library. Designed by Robert Cochrane of...

25 March 2012

1909 – Parochial House, Loup, Co. Derry

Architect: John V. Brennan

02 July 2012

1910 – Carnegie Library & Technical School, Bangor, Co. Down

Architect: E.L. Woods One of the fine public librarys funded in part by Andrew Carnegie’s foundation, constructed started in 1909, with the building opened by Lord Londonderry in 1910. By 1919, 81 per...

17 September 2009

1910 – Queen’s University, Belfast

Architect: Henry Tanner Second placed scheme for buildings adjacent to the Lanyon Building of Queen’s.

19 March 2014

1910 – Tassagh Viaduct, Keady, Co. Armagh

Architect: Sir Benjamin Baker 11-arched viaduct in masonry and concrete for the Castleblayney, Keady & Armagh Railway Co., constructed in 1910 to provide a link between Armagh and the County Monaghan town of...