Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

25 September 2009

1922 – Bank of Ireland, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh

Architect: A.G. Millar Large 20th century commercial bank building on a dominant site on the main street of Enniskillen. Converted into a bank in 1921-22 with the remodelling of the first and second...

31 January 2014

1923 – Northern Bank Buildings, Strabane, Co. Tyrone

Architect: Henry Seaver Fine brick and stone bank on a barrow wedge-shaped corner site. No longer in use as a bank, but now a cellphone store, the carved lettering “bank” still visible over...

01 April 2014

1925 – Engine Roundhouse, Portadown, Co. Armagh

Architect: F.A. Champion One of two roundhouses to the same design on the Great Northern Railway system – the other at Clones still stands today. Built in 1925 out of reinforced concrete, its...

29 September 2009

1926 – Former Great Northern Railway Engine Shed, Clones, Co. Monaghan

Architect: F.A. Champion Legend has it, that a member of the local Madden family who were major shareholders in the Great Northern Railway visited Milan. While there, he visited a new railway engine...

24 September 2009

1927 – St. Ann’s Church of Ireland Cathedral, Belfast

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew, W.H. Lynn St Anne’s Cathedral is built on the site of St Anne’s Church – Belfast’s first Church of Ireland parish. St Anne’s Church existed from 1776 (foundation stone...

28 September 2009

1928 – Belturbet Town Hall, Co. Cavan

Architect: Patrick J. Brady Public building with few architectural pretensions other than the round-headed windows at ground level and the small, awkwardly proportioned pediment. Brady was an architect and civil engineer, of Ballyhaise,...

24 September 2009

1928 – Former Bank of Ireland, Royal Avenue, Belfast

Architect: McDonnell & Dixon A fabulous Art Deco building finished in Portland Limestone, on an important corner site in Belfast, this Bank of Ireland branch closes off the long Royal Avenue vista. The...

06 June 2014

1929 – Sacred Heart Church, Arvagh, Co. Cavan

Architect: Ralph H. Byrne The foundation stone was laid on 2nd October 1927, and the official opening took place on 8th September 1929. The architect was Ralph H. Byrne, of W.H. Byrne &...

07 April 2011

1929 – Ulster Museum, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: James Cumming Wynnes / Francis Pym In 1913, a competition was held to design a new building to house the Belfast Museum and Art Gallery’s expanding collections. James Cumming Wynnes of Edinburgh...