Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

12 February 2014

1920s – Design for Stormont, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Sir Arnold Thornely After the partition of Ireland with the Government of Ireland Act, 1920, plans for a large domed building with two subsidiary side buildings, housing all three branches of government...

25 September 2009

1922 – Bank of Ireland, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh

Architect: A.G. Millar Large 20th century commercial bank building on a dominant site on the main street of Enniskillen. Converted into a bank in 1921-22 with the remodelling of the first and second...

31 January 2014

1923 – Northern Bank Buildings, Strabane, Co. Tyrone

Architect: Henry Seaver Fine brick and stone bank on a barrow wedge-shaped corner site. No longer in use as a bank, but now a cellphone store, the carved lettering “bank” still visible over...

01 April 2014

1925 – Engine Roundhouse, Portadown, Co. Armagh

Architect: F.A. Champion One of two roundhouses to the same design on the Great Northern Railway system – the other at Clones still stands today. Built in 1925 out of reinforced concrete, its...

29 September 2009

1926 – Former Great Northern Railway Engine Shed, Clones, Co. Monaghan

Architect: F.A. Champion Legend has it, that a member of the local Madden family who were major shareholders in the Great Northern Railway visited Milan. While there, he visited a new railway engine...

24 September 2009

1927 – St. Ann’s Church of Ireland Cathedral, Belfast

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew, W.H. Lynn St Anne’s Cathedral is built on the site of St Anne’s Church – Belfast’s first Church of Ireland parish. St Anne’s Church existed from 1776 (foundation stone...

28 September 2009

1928 – Belturbet Town Hall, Co. Cavan

Architect: Patrick J. Brady Public building with few architectural pretensions other than the round-headed windows at ground level and the small, awkwardly proportioned pediment. Brady was an architect and civil engineer, of Ballyhaise,...

24 September 2009

1928 – Former Bank of Ireland, Royal Avenue, Belfast

Architect: McDonnell & Dixon A fabulous Art Deco building finished in Portland Limestone, on an important corner site in Belfast, this Bank of Ireland branch closes off the long Royal Avenue vista. The...

07 October 2014

1928 – Town Hall, Ballymena, Co. Antrim

Architect: Jones & Kelly Jones & Kelly were chosen as a result of an architectural competition held in 1920. The site chosen was the location of the town’s markethouse. A Market House was...